Calyx & Teebee vs Solo Stuff?

Jwood27

VICTIM
VIP Junglist
Seeing as this cropped up in the top 5 thread, do people in general prefer their solo adventures or their collab stuff?

Whilst i love some of the collabs (warrior, submerged remix, shape of things to come etc) i think i probably prefer their solo bits, especially teebees.

ie

discuss

Last edited by a moderator:
i prefer calyx's solo stuff...never really dug too deep with teebee's, but i probably should

anatomy holds a special place in my heart
all or nothing was kinda bland and a bit 'ctrl-c + ctrl-v'

favourite calyx solo tune?

blackscience labs is a masterpiece - truly chilling & eerie album. stonecold - just as i like it. my vote goes for teebee just because of that. altough calyx has released some awesome stuff on moving shadows as well.

blackscience labs is a masterpiece - truly chilling & eerie album. stonecold -

my thoughts exactly, though i agree about calyxs old stuff. to be fair i'd have held all in equal regard but recently the output has become so stale compared to when they first started collaborating, and when they were working individually

No Turning Back is one of my all time favourite albums in d&b, Calyx gets my vote purely on this.

Definitely need to dig deeper into some old Teebee though. I've pretty much given up on the duo nowadays, I don't think either of them produce anything near to what they used to.

Here here, No Turning Back is also my favourite album, Calyx wins it for my personal preference

Tearing us apart, chasing shadows, illusions, get myself to you, inner distance (not on album) are all amazing

Really not feeling their latest output, but they have some seriously mad tunes both as collabs and as solo artists.

Favorites from Calyx: Get Myself To You, Double Zero, Cabin Fever, Narcosis, Tearing Us Apart

Favorites from Teebee: Guilty, Luca remix, Warfear, Frequencies, Padawan, The Void, Stolen Documents

Favorites from C&T: All That Remains, Cyclon, Confession, Make Your Choice, Don't Look Down w/ Break, Starstruck

Re: Calyx & Teebee vs Solo Stuff?

I think both of their early work is much better. They were both making dark tunes that had lush soundscapes, but understood subtlety. Calyx tunes built really well and didnt slap in the face with overdriven noise. Teebee made some great rollers without being overbearing. Maybe it's more a reflection of the music today though.

- - - Updated - - -

Favorite Calyx tunes: Morphology, Kingdom
Favorite Teebee tunes: Bounce, Luca Remix

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't Calyx originally 2 people in the Audio Couture days?

Both of their earlier solo stuff was absolutely amazing. Easily prefer it personally.

Black Science Labs era Teebee is some of the sickest and darkest dnb ever made

Re: Calyx & Teebee vs Solo Stuff?

Favorites from C&T: All That Remains, Cyclon, Confession, Make Your Choice, Don't Look Down w/ Break, Starstruck

Same as mine with the addition of Hurting.

- - - Updated - - -

I only got to know about C&T as duo right when they signed to Ram, although hearing Anatomy, it is much better than All or Nothing (AoN isn't bad but it isn't great as Anatomy). From my little search I did of their solo projects I think that I much prefer Calyx. That Tear Us Apart track is really good.

say what you want all or nothing had some massive tunes on it (elevate this sound, pure gold, strung out, nothing i can say, starstruck, skank), they do need to stop reusing the same sounds tho

I like them as duo and their solo stuff, although their latest output is very samey

Are people seriously slating their collaborative work? What have they released recently? Sure they've done a few remixes using the same sounds repeatedly but it just means they'll spend more time making their own stuff.

Plus like this is a pretty fucking tasty treat

No Turning Back has got to be one of the best dnb albums of all time, every track is sick

All Or Nothing was pretty boring imo, no replay value

got tearing us apart promo press, took me so long to find but I fucking love it and still get rinsed on the regular. I can't choose out of calyx and teebee because they both have made some banging tunes individually. I do like them producing together and they have been bringing out big tunes recently but personally I prefer there solo output.

Love Teebee's Guilty - one of my favourites as a solo piece of production from him. Never really delved into Calyx's solo stuff - or probably have & can't remember.

I prefer the Anatomy LP to All or Nothing as well. Warrior & The Divide are two absolute stompers. Elevate this Sound was effortless and a big track but prefer the much darker realms they used to delve into.

Good thread Jimbo (y) should generate decent discussion.

Hard to pick between solo and collab work, but if I really had to pick one, it would be Teebee solo.

This one's my favourite

I like Solo Calyx stuff too, but Teebee wins for me.

Back
Top Bottom