CalmPete - Clean Air (almost there!)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Nautilus, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Nautilus

Nautilus Member

pretty big changes overall. drops, bass, etc.

If I could get some advice on mixing this, it'd be greatly appreciated. I find that every set of speakers/headphones I listen on, the song sounds drastically different. Unfortunately none of what I have is studio quality.

2. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

snare needs more thumb to it and everythign seems a little to compressed when the bass drops in, that muddies things up quite a bit imo and the drums almost disappear completely.

arrangement wise i think the breakdown after only 32 bars seems quite odd.

keep at it!

3. Nautilus

Nautilus Member

much thanks for the listen. I will recheck the composition in terms of bars (count everything). With saw basses that require both lower frequencies for the bass, and higher for the actual saw sound portion, is it better to clone/seperate it into two portions instead of eqing it be in both? (sorry if this makes no sense)

4. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

Yeah, this is massively over-compressed. I think your effects might just be too loud and they're crushing everything with the master compressor. Whenever I mix a track, I drop everything to zero and go from there. Once your loudest element is in place (undoubtedly the kick drum,) never turn anything up past it - turn other things down instead.

You don't exactly need studio quality equipment to get a good mix. Make sure you reference against other tracks whilst you're mixing, and you should be able to get something respectable.

The melodies are really beautiful, and they intertwine really well...love them.