Calling to tech dnb experts. How far you can go with phasing before to go out?

Rajstah Vibe

soundcloud.com/rajstah
VIP Junglist
It is surely very dangerous and risky to play with phase, however, there's a certain stereo illusion/effects, coming thru this playing around, that it really gives a fascinating actraction to de-phase sounds for me...

Now, as I've been working the last few days on a track that's got a lot of stereo effects, I started to get some problems with the final tune.
I'm totally aware of the tricks on how to spot the out of phase. My concerne is not about that.

My concerne is, is it normal to get sometimes a bit on negative side?

Stereo reverbs they do this a lot to emulate physical space...

So... to how many of you, tecky dnb producers, it happen to get close to this showed on my pic?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, which nice trick, or tricky plug in, will you raccomand to re-establish a bit of phase correllation?

I'm using the Utility of ableton live atm, to close a bit the widenes.
I just wander how good it is and how much loss on transients can cause such task if not treated with the right tool.

Some usefull tips?

I'm probably just wanking off with this phase shit... got paranoid!

I'll probably better to go and buy some whisky and beer to get smashed! Fuck the phase! :drunk:

I think is the classic problem of a lost in translation... :(
Let's put it in this way:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you'll lose everything that's in the anti phase section if your tune get's played in mono, which from the screenshot looks like a fair bit of the sound.
Looks like it might've been taken on the snare hit, which you want to be wide, but not hella over-wide..

maybe try playing with the pre-delay if there's a verb in there?

I've been having issues with this recently as well, particularly when using sends in ableton..

look at some tunes you like in the analyser man, there will be very little anti-phase info, if any.

I dunno if any of that was helpful.

AMEN!

Someone who knows what I'm talking about.
Thanks Ghost.

Yeah, I think is how you say. Most of sound will be canceled if completely off-phase. But not all.
If is not completely on the opposite phase, it could still be heard, will just lose strenght. I think.

Looks like it might've been taken on the snare hit, which you want to be wide, but not hella over-wide..
I should have explained also what sort of sound is the one sampled in pic.
Is a solo of a stereo filtered reece, without sub.
You can hear the sound I posted on this thread: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/152254-Clip-updated-WIP-intro-and-drop-What-would-you-hear-next

The funny thing is that when then I play the whole mix, the phasescope doesn't go much in negative....

look at some tunes you like in the analyser man, there will be very little anti-phase info, if any.

I dunno why I couldn't think that myself... :O
I've tryied also to play a track of Spor thru the scope, and BOOM! Also Spor goes in negative many times... as many as my track.

So... I realised that probably I got paranoid, but yeah... At least I know, that I'm not the only one, who produce shit that will disappear in mono sound systems! lol :hold_hand

I've also tryed out with the INPHASE plug of waves, but didn't help much.

By the way, that's a great plug in to use for keeping control of phase problems.
Highly recommended.

(Ctrl + F) and search for "split" = No split word found.

Once your split your bass in 2 parts, lowpass 300hz or less <--- mono that! then high pass on the 300hz-500hz, then just don't care too much about stereo things since that's what it's gonna make a bass delightfully variable on your tune. Be sure to make the groove + automation go acoordingly, just that. KISS = Keep It Super Simple. Always.
My 2 cents. :)

Oh! Btw, the first NeoLiveCast I did was on this topic, you watched it, right?

I was online, but connection was shit!
I couldn't see nothing of the live cast.
So you suggest to mono until 300hz???
That's a large range... I usually mono until 100hz (including kick)

I couldn't see nothing of the live cast.
That's a large range... I usually mono until 100hz (including kick)

The livecast is up on my facebook on the LiveCasts tab :) it covers a bit of that.

300hz or less. I don't know how it is english, but the freqs around 200 - 500 are frequencies that TOO often you don't need cause of the rumbling these make on the subs, at least it what works for me... :)

300hz or less. I don't know how it is english, but the freqs around 200 - 500 are frequencies that TOO often you don't need cause of the rumbling these make on the subs, at least it what works for me... :)

You r talking mainly about bass, Reece.
I guess this apply mainly when drops or drum parts are playing...

Back
Top Bottom