Calling all producers!

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
So I was asked today by a friend if I could reverse a reverb. And no it's not the awesome fx trick you can do on vocals etc, he actually asked for a sample of a vocal which has reverb on it to be removed...

Instinctively I laughed and was like pfft, impossible!!.....got me thinking tho....is it actually possible? I mean, I had a thought to stereo image it or something but then I've tried that before and it doesn't work...so yea does anyone know if its actually possible?? I've never needed to do it but I'd be interested in the science behind achieving it?
SCIENCE BITCHES!

Might help, but if it's a vocal I doubt it'll be as easy as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might help, but if it's a vocal I doubt it'll be as easy as that.

Yea forgot to mention its like a dude speaking to a huge crowd in an auditorium...So yea makes the above technique pretty impossible to do...unless maybe a noise gate of some kind with a room style reverb over it instead or something....i dunno! Maybe in the future something will be able to do it but yea who knows for now..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one of those things, where it COULD be done with the right algorithm; but I ain't volunteering to write that shit lol! It's mathematically feasible, but in the time & effort it'd take to make it you could probably find somebody with a similar enough voice to just remake your own version of the recording in the studio.

yeh you basically need a broadband filter, izotope rx is pretty good for that, also use a noise gate. I used to work in audio forensics and had to do this all the time, but our company made their own plug ins which aren't for sale.

Interested in this myself, not that I have a practical use for the immediate future. Would be helpful in knowing exactly how to strip vocals and other instruments from one another in a mastered WAV. All I know there is certain instruments may take up certain bands, and vocals are usually near the center bands, but that's it. No plug-ins that I know of that really allow for fine (surgical) cutting of the bands....but it needs to happen already.

you know when you cross the cables the wrong way and that sound you get missing the middle channel? you get only the reverbs and stereo effects? so like you get that, then invert it, on top of the original and, possibly, theoretically, you would be left with only the middle channel. thats probably got reverb on it too, but this could go pretty far on as how to remove reverb. its not easy, of course, and its going to take that broadband filter and a gate, and even then i doubt the reflections will ever be totally gone. but its an idea,

there was once a plugin called vocal remover from analog x, that was not only free, but also claimed to be perfectly able to remove vocals, straight out from .wavs.
it couldnt of course, it would generate a heavy eq dip where the vocals usually are and it wasnt very good at all, but i always wondered why it couldnt then output that data to a separate file, and you could kind of... rip the vocals from any tune.

its pretty clear to me why that didnt work, but its the reason i heard of this inversion technique

its pretty clear to me why that didnt work, but its the reason i heard of this inversion technique

You might be onto something there, i dabbled with inversion techniques to recover some vocals from tracks was awesome when it worked. You just need an exact copy of the same song just an instrumental. thing is it has to be exactly the same song or else it sounds really wierd. even when it did work it still didnt sound as good as an accapella. But yea as for this reverb malarky it will no doubt be available in the future it did get me thinking about the possibilities to sound engineering etc.

Audio forensics sounds like a sick job btw. If i could go back i'd of definitely studied that!

Theoretically, if you had the exact impulse response to generate the reverb you could deconvolve the signal...

That's just theory, though :teef:

Back
Top Bottom