Call And Response Basslines + more

Eternaloptimist

VIP Junglist
ez lads
i have serious problems in getting 2 diff basslines to work together.they always seem to sound wrong.
any tips on how i could go about this would be much appreciated.
most jump up producers do this and also calibre in ugly duckling
*also i have psp nitro and have read so many places producers using it to generate some interesting movements in their basses.i just cant seem to get my head round that.what do you guys automate within the filter?got a bit of cash and i want to invest in any filter plugins that you guys recommend.
*auto filter in logic- i sometimes use that to get some movement but then again i get stuck in what to automate.cutoff,envelopes, etc
*pitching drums- i use the vengeance samples for my drums (audio).i heard about pitching them but i have no clue in how i can go about this.i saw a tut by london elecktricity where he uses the spl drum exchanger to pitch his drums but he doest explain much
*breaks - what breaks are mostly used to make liquid,jump up,etc
*sampling funk/soul tracks - i am keen to sample some old skool records that i inherited but have no clue where to start.how do i get melodies/vocals etc form these to use in my own productions?
*busses - i use logic,send my drums to busses then compress the buss.not sure after sending to a buss if you should still be hearing sound from the tracks sent to the buss or if the sound should just be from the aux channel?

sorry to ask all these questions.i have searched almost everywhere but have not gotten answers that clearly explain.i hope all these questions make sense as english is not my 1st language!
pls help me out i am not friends with anyone that makes music so i have no one to help me.
many thanks in advance
*****i am not asking anyone to make tunes for me but to just point me in the right direction.

i think the best way to start with a call n response bassline is to have the idea in ur head first then take it from there. You obviously then need to know how to program the sound in ur synth. I think the main key with it tho is each bass needs to be tuned to each other so it dont sound messy.

you just need to know what key your working in right you know that shiz.. dont put reverb on your sub bass neway too much so its not essential ..

Hmm psp nitro is pretty sick,i dont know have u tried psp n2o basically same but really improved you have a lot more control,as for pitching drums try using two drum samples pitched slightly different you can get pretty nice sound,and for basslines it hard to explain and i think u heard thousand times it is all about automating different elements etc...

Check out the Control Z dnb producer masterclass video on YouTube, in part three I think he talks about making variations on your [his] bass to bring in some communication.

As previously mentioned, pick a key and then find the following things: a) The complimentary major/minor key that matches the key of your arrangement. b) Accompanying scales that coincide with the key of your arrangement.

Using a complimentary key in your tune will add a different vibe to the track and can be helpful and breaking up fatiguing repetition. Finding an appropriate scale will help you create sequenced leads, arpeggios and all types of shit.

Cheers.

How much pitching are you looking to do to your drums? I usually load samples into the EXS24 and go from there. Alternatively i've heard Melodyne is quite good, although i've not used it myself.

thanks for all the suggestions.well just been using the one kit from the fracture and neptune sample pack.doing them in exs24.sounding way better.till i get better at pitching im just gonna stick to the one drum kit.
thanks again gents

Back
Top Bottom