c&s also using pre pitched Cds...??

Andy C must have older tunes pitched up & re-pressed (Atlantis & Renegade Snares) & also, he mixes in key doesn't he? So would that not make a difference? Also, the amount of times I've seen him dj & he IS doing it all himself.

saying producers should stick to producing etc..

C&S would just be chucking easy money away really.. and promoters want them in their clubs because they know it will get capacity with their new found status (no pun intended) on the more commercial side of things. People want to see them, You've got hell of alot more chance of filling the club with C&S on the flyer playing their tunes, than an unknown DJ playing their tunes eh?

meh. still fucking annoying though!

Probably no smoke without fire but perhaps not for negative reasons ...

@ 3m17s on this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLawCbaYG5E

he is playing Atlantis (I Need You) (LTJ Bukem Remix) which was released on GLR003 in 1993 (rolldabeats). I have this record and it plays at 155bpm with tempo at zero, in that clip the temp is 178bpm which is a 15% speed increase but technics only give +8% !?

The key on the youtube clip is certainly higher than that on my record so either got the decks modified (which would mean less accuracy per mm on the slide) or has been repressed. If only to allow the track to be played alongside current tracks around the 180bpm mark.

I would imagine he at least prepitches old releases such as that to keep them mixable with current songs...
No need for conspiracy theories.

No need for conspiracy theories.
Agreed, i expect someone has got wrong end of the stick from hearing that :

(1) certain old tracks have been re-pressed with faster tempo

that chinese whispered into

(2) Andy C's record box contains repressed items all at the same pitch

like i said before ... "no smoke without fire but perhaps not for negative reasons"

Agreed, i expect someone has got wrong end of the stick from hearing that :

(1) certain old tracks have been re-pressed with faster tempo

that chinese whispered into

(2) Andy C's record box contains repressed items all at the same pitch

like i said before ... "no smoke without fire but perhaps not for negative reasons"

Such rubbish. I think the reason people say that is because they are jus jealous that they cant do what andy does. He does get his old tunes repressed to a quicker tempo. FACT! But no way does he get his tunes pressed to the same speed. Iv seen him countless times back in the end watching him for his epic 4 hour sets. I think i would have noticed the non shifting of the pitch if this was true.
Iv heard minor clangs aswell which it does happen to everyone. I think in the past 3-4 years the fact that he plays out so much he's just upped his game on the decks. He is predominantly a DJ than a producer thats why he's so good on the decks.

Andy C must have older tunes pitched up & re-pressed (Atlantis & Renegade Snares) & also, he mixes in key doesn't he? So would that not make a difference? Also, the amount of times I've seen him dj & he IS doing it all himself.

thats exactly what he does, i got splash babalyon cut to dubplate and got it speed up by 8%, just so that i could mix it with any other tune in my bag since the speed and tempo has changed alot since the mid ninties.

Bouds knows the score. As others have stated, dnb tempos have obviously got faster over the years, therefore, its gonna be harder to put in some of the old in with the new. I couldn't give a fuck if Andy has pitched up the tempo and recut it. End of the day, he's doing it on VINYL!!

Are you honestly trying to suggest that Andy C is a fake?

P.S...

Who the fuck would play a set where every tune they played was the same BPM?!

I'm not guna say anything, just i still have my doubts and i'm quite entitled to.

And ever heard of Dubstep ? 90% is 140... So could easily do the same with Dnb that is all written at 175!! Think about it!

I personally think it's a sell out pre pitching CD's . Beatmatching and keeping the mix in time is probably the biggest part of the craft of being a DJ! Not a good look IMO.

I'm not guna say anything, just i still have my doubts and i'm quite entitled to.

And ever heard of Dubstep ? 90% is 140... So could easily do the same with Dnb that is all written at 175!! Think about it!

i was gonna say something along the lines of that, but really, your goin more outa your way to mix tunes with the same bpm.

like i said before, beatmatchin ain't the skill anyway and you don't go and see c&s for their dj skills.

Such rubbish
Not sure if you understood my post ... i`m agreeing with you ! In my post you quoted from I was suggesting that the 'truth' is (1) but that it has morphed into (2) ... you do know 'chinese whispers' right ?!

I personally think it's a sell out pre pitching CD's ..
totally agree its a major part of the 'skill' however tune selection and the actual transition between tracks are more important to the rave so if a DJ is pre-pitching yeah its shite but still has to carry out the other items to make it happen.

Last edited:
i was gonna say something along the lines of that, but really, your goin more outa your way to mix tunes with the same bpm.

like i said before, beatmatchin ain't the skill anyway and you don't go and see c&s for their dj skills.

WTF? Beatmatching is a fundamental DJ Skill.

If I had everything pre-pitched i'd be able to douple drop tunes like a pro. But because they aren't pre pitched and my beat matching aint exactly amazing yet, I can't.

So pre pitched cd's would make it a hell of a lot easier for me. I would still go see Noisia (apparently they use pre-pitched aswell???) regardless of that just because their sets are always full of good tunes. It's still dissapointing to see people within the scene doing this though.

frankly its all part of the evolution to digital sources .... bpm meters, infinite +/-%, effects, cue point, downloading on the web, re-pitching/re-timing tracks at home on your PC then playing mp3's from usb stick yada yada ....

Far cry from the investment into what is now a function empty SL1200 turntable and then the weekly trip after pay day to the record store !

why did he cue "planet dust" before the beginning of the bar?

he probably took it from the beginning of the first "werrrrrr werr werr", its an easier cue point and gives you a few more vital beats to get in time with.

anyone who thinks andy c has his tunes cut at the same speed is a mug.
anyone who is trying to justify using pre-pitched cd's is a mug. even if the majority of people in a rave are oblivious to whether someone is beat matching or not, you dont pay to see a band live then watch them mime do you?

yeah but once you've learnt it, its just in your way, flare whilst mixing and tune selection becomes the skill. any fool can learn to beatmatch. takes a little more to be a dj.

Agreed but my whole point was that if you havn't perfected the foundations of DJing ie beatmatching then you are in for an epic fail. Seeing as the topic of the thread was 'Pre Pitching' to avoid having to keep beats locked in the mix i think my point was totally valid.

There's nothing worse than clanging mixes! If beats are all over the place because they are not kept in time well and beatmatched properly the whole flair and tune selection goes out the window.

No Beatmatching = No DJ

Back
Top Bottom