c&s also using pre pitched Cds...??

I think you lot are far too up in arms against this pre-pitched stuff. I'm not for it really, as there still is a lot of competition about beatmatching and mixing ability, but its not really the end of the world.

As my mate said to me the other day about this, isnt DJing about the musicality and presenting music to people? Technicalities like beatmatching dont help there... its just a burden on the set.

I enjoy beatmatching, and mixing vinyl, but for people that are always up there playing music to people it removes a margin of error that doesn't actually need to be there.

Anyway, heres a question for all you C&S bashers, what do you think about DBridge using pre-pitched cds? Bit cheeky i thought to start with, but actually i dont care because he plays fantastic sets with fantastic music...

i was dissapointed seeing alix perez mixing with pre pitched cds but his selection was so fine it didnt really matter. But seeing a dj spin vinyl is way better

I think it's a con no matter who's doing it - just laziness.

As with bishigate, it just comes down to people who are primarily producers getting DJ bookings when they can't(be arsed to) mix.

D Bridge should be able to beatmatch by now?

Either c&s has the perfect timing to drop a beat (even with pre-pitch cd's) because they dont touch the cdj at all or their using a pre mixed cd!!!

Any dj not matter how good the producer or the tunage their playing out needs their ears cut off and fed to a pig if they are pre-pitching/faking or whatever!! Being a cdj user myself its bloody embarrassing with phonies like this about, but as people have said this can get and is currently popular....especially when you see drunk oblivious people rocking out to a dj who fucks up every 10 seconds whom thinks he's a fecking god dancing like a goon!....the end is nigh!:(

Last edited:
I think it's a con no matter who's doing it - just laziness.

As with bishigate, it just comes down to people who are primarily producers getting DJ bookings when they can't(be arsed to) mix.

D Bridge should be able to beatmatch by now?

My point is that does it really matter? I think everyone needs to take a look at what DJing is..

id like to agree man but i simply cant

feels like a giant kick in the groin knowing these things cant happen, call me a philistine but thats how i feel

My point is that does it really matter? I think everyone needs to take a look at what DJing is..

If you play pre-pitched cds in your set, how can you call yourself a dj?!

You can't even mix for fucks sake!

I guarantee you every drum and bass dj who built this scene up to the first person who ever dj'd with pre-pitched cds would be disgusted and disappointed at some of the comments in this thread.

So what if you played tunes that were all the same BPM? You could dot he exact same thing on vinyl and CDJs and never have to touch the pitch... Is that not DJin?

Its a weird subject really that I think we are eventually just guna have to get over. If the big artist smashes it with a massive selection and really tight Eqin and quick blends, I wouldn't really care too much. DJs who don't have a big name that do this should be flamed, the big names have earned there right to be where they are so and can sympathise that sometimes its hard to find time to practice.

Oh about the whole Andy practise makes perfect thing... The set I heard was after he'd be mixing well over 12 years, so doesn't really make sense to be clanging loads after that amount of time mixing does it not??

So what if you played tunes that were all the same BPM? You could dot he exact same thing on vinyl and CDJs and never have to touch the pitch... Is that not DJin?

Its a weird subject really that I think we are eventually just guna have to get over. If the big artist smashes it with a massive selection and really tight Eqin and quick blends, I wouldn't really care too much. DJs who don't have a big name that do this should be flamed, the big names have earned there right to be where they are so and can sympathise that sometimes its hard to find time to practice.

Oh about the whole Andy practise makes perfect thing... The set I heard was after he'd be mixing well over 12 years, so doesn't really make sense to be clanging loads after that amount of time mixing does it not??

Are you honestly trying to suggest that Andy C is a fake?

P.S...

Who the fuck would play a set where every tune they played was the same BPM?!

All I ask from a DJ is that they can create a good sound with their mix without blatant clanging, if they have to alter all their records to a certain tempo to be able to mix them cleanly then they shouldn't really be DJing.

Most punters couldn't give a shit about a DJs technical ability so long as their favourite records get played so I think Im in the minority on this.

To be honest I can't even believe this is a fucking debate man ...

If you love / like djing then you would never consider it okay to play pre-pitched cds and still call yourself a dj

For those who don't really care about djing, I'm sure you don't give a shit, obviously, why would you, you really know nothing about it ...

To be honest I can't even believe this is a fucking debate man ...

If you love / like djing then you would never consider it okay to play pre-pitched cds and still call yourself a dj

For those who don't really care about djing, I'm sure you don't give a shit, obviously, why would you, you really know nothing about it ...

You're arguing about mixing, not DJing.

"A disc jockey (also known as disk jockey, DJ or deejay) is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience."

I first posted in this thinking it was lame for a DJ to do it, but the more i think about it the less i care. I'm not saying everyone should start doing it, but it doesn't actually make much of a difference. At the end of the day all you're doing is putting effort and time into making something a different speed on the night, instead of having it sorted beforehand. It takes away a bit of the simplicity of being able to stand there and present music how you want it...

And before you have a massive go, i mix vinyl.

For drum & bass, I see the whole aspect of DJing as putting on a show. Not just playing tunes, but putting forth your own style and technical abilities to form a musical journey for your crowd. It isn't a genre where you can simply fade tracks in and out and play with the flanger a little bit. There's lots of fast-paced EQing and track manipulation.

If you can't even master beat-matching, then you don't deserve to play out. That sort of laziness is a representation of the lack of passion that person has for dnb. Once it becomes OK for producers to play pre-pitched CDs, then it just becomes about the money. That's a direction I hope never to see with this amazing genre of music. If you really love drum & bass, then you will understand this.

Last edited:
You're arguing about mixing, not DJing.

"A disc jockey (also known as disk jockey, DJ or deejay) is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience."

I first posted in this thinking it was lame for a DJ to do it, but the more i think about it the less i care. I'm not saying everyone should start doing it, but it doesn't actually make much of a difference. At the end of the day all you're doing is putting effort and time into making something a different speed on the night, instead of having it sorted beforehand. It takes away a bit of the simplicity of being able to stand there and present music how you want it...

And before you have a massive go, i mix vinyl.

Do you like djing?

....Theres always the rumour that Andy cuts his dubs at the same speed, hence why he can mix so quick..

Probably no smoke without fire but perhaps not for negative reasons ...

@ 3m17s on this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLawCbaYG5E

he is playing Atlantis (I Need You) (LTJ Bukem Remix) which was released on GLR003 in 1993 (rolldabeats). I have this record and it plays at 155bpm with tempo at zero, in that clip the temp is 178bpm which is a 15% speed increase but technics only give +8% !?

The key on the youtube clip is certainly higher than that on my record so either got the decks modified (which would mean less accuracy per mm on the slide) or has been repressed. If only to allow the track to be played alongside current tracks around the 180bpm mark.

to me the fun in djing is in working the crowd. i prefer to do that on the spot...i.e., changing the vibe, dropping an old classic, etc., as well as realizing what the crowd likes and using that for tune selection.
that's why i never understood people playing a set (a series of mixes) that they have done a million times. to me, that would just be boring. taking a pre mixed cd, that is a whole new level of boredom.
as far as pre-pitched, i don't really mind that so much - if moving the pitch is that much trouble for someone, let them do it. timestretching all my tunes is too much trouble for me haha so i don't do it. most of the tunes these days are pretty close, too. saves you some cueing time and allows for faster mixes.

I think it does matter man... especially to thos who have practised for hours getting tight.

If you go to a dnb/house/trance/whatever show you expect top notch djs showing off their mix skills - not some fake pretending to press buttons.

Back
Top Bottom