buying my 1st dubstep

Indeed, only problem is he doesnt believe in represses either.

So unless you grab the releases quick you aint getting one, also means that people buy them just to sell at a profit.

American Hip-hop record culture stylee stylee. I don't really have a lot of beef with that tbh. One of things that makes vinyl cool. It feels special and exclusive.

PS, trying to defend dubstep on here is like trying to take a shit in a hurricaine... its completly pointless and your getting shit on yourself.

American Hip-hop record culture stylee stylee. I don't really have a lot of beef with that tbh. One of things that makes vinyl cool. It feels special and exclusive.

Well if you own the early DMZ releases it is like you in a exclusive club as there was only around 500 pressings of each of them, most of them sell £20 - £40 each now depending on condition and Anti War dub is rediculously over priced, I've seen it on Discogs for anythin from £70 - £180.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

PS, trying to defend dubstep on here is like trying to take a shit in a hurricaine... its completly pointless and your getting shit on yourself.

Its not because there are people that can appreciate good music and havent just jumped on the Dubstep hate wagon for the sake of it. Its very similar to the Pendulum situation, alot of people are hating and dont even know why they just heard someone else say its shit so joined in.

Anyway how anyone into dnb can call the entire dubstep genre shite is beyond me, its basicly the same just different bpms. If you sit there and say its just wobbles then thats like someone into dubstep saying all dnb is wobbles because they've just listened to the latest jump up tune. For every sub genre in dnb there is a similar sub genre of dubstep.

Well if you own the early DMZ releases it is like you in a exclusive club as there was only around 500 pressings of each of them, most of them sell £20 - £40 each now depending on condition and Anti War dub is rediculously over priced, I've seen it on Discogs for anythin from £70 - £180.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Its not because there are people that can appreciate good music and havent just jumped on the Dubstep hate wagon for the sake of it. Its very similar to the Pendulum situation, alot of people are hating and dont even know why they just heard someone else say its shit so joined in.

Anyway how anyone into dnb can call the entire dubstep genre shite is beyond me, its basicly the same just different bpms. If you sit there and say its just wobbles then thats like someone into dubstep saying all dnb is wobbles because they've just listened to the latest jump up tune. For every sub genre in dnb there is a similar sub genre of dubstep.

Yeah just shitter!!!!!

thats just silly, your silly.

Drumstep? Yes half time dnb has been done before but never as popular as now, where as dubstep has pioneered this sound for years.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Yeah just shitter!!!!!

Good argument, in what way? How is it shitter? Please explain?

I don't need to explain, it just is.. Your probably just going to say 'yeah well thats your opinion' but i know many people who like both with a passion but will always say 'yeah dnb is just that bit better' .. I don't necessarily know why it's better, it just is.. Must be the tempo i guess. I don't mind dubstep at all, really like alot of it, but when i listen to it i feel it has no where near the skill to produce for 1 thing and i get bored of a track after about 20 seconds where i can listen to a dnb tune the whole way through and it feels like a journey.. On the production thing i made a dubstep tune and found it ridiculously easier compared to dnb.. Just find the punchiest snare possible and whatever you put on top of it will work, everything sounds half decent with dubstep whereas with dnb i literally can't make a good bassline to work with the tempo/beat

Bigger than dnb??!! get the fuck out

this is probably true in terms of sucess. every man and his dog can make and sell dubstep, and my students union which used to be dnb plays increasingly more dubstep much to my annoyance. and all the little kids come along, pop a pill for the first time and are like "dubstep is the best thing in the world man, so good" and you ask them what they think of midnight request line or another classic, probably even a recent release that wasn't a remix of a pop song and they have no idea what you are chatting about. it seems to have captured the non music loving audience, which dnb never did.

this is probably true in terms of sucess. every man and his dog can make and sell dubstep, and my students union which used to be dnb plays increasingly more dubstep much to my annoyance. and all the little kids come along, pop a pill for the first time and are like "dubstep is the best thing in the world man, so good" and you ask them what they think of midnight request line or another classic, probably even a recent release that wasn't a remix of a pop song and they have no idea what you are chatting about. it seems to have captured the non music loving audience, which dnb never did.

Completely forgottem about the Pendulum incident then? Plus the idiots that go to Jump Up raves an run on the dancefloor as soon as Mr Happy or Machete comes on? Yet couldnt name another artist in the genre

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

I don't need to explain, it just is.. Your probably just going to say 'yeah well thats your opinion' but i know many people who like both with a passion but will always say 'yeah dnb is just that bit better' .. I don't necessarily know why it's better, it just is.. Must be the tempo i guess. I don't mind dubstep at all, really like alot of it, but when i listen to it i feel it has no where near the skill to produce for 1 thing and i get bored of a track after about 20 seconds where i can listen to a dnb tune the whole way through and it feels like a journey.. On the production thing i made a dubstep tune and found it ridiculously easier compared to dnb.. Just find the punchiest snare possible and whatever you put on top of it will work, everything sounds half decent with dubstep whereas with dnb i literally can't make a good bassline to work with the tempo/beat

I'm not disputing that, sometimes I prefer dnb sometimes I prefer dubstep all depends what mood I'm in. I'm just arguing the fact that people are writing of a full genre of music because they've heard what they think the genre is all about and are to lazy to dig deeper. Especially when these people listen to a genre like dnb which has the same problem.

To behonest mate you could say the same about Jump Up, listen to Mala's album Return II Space and try and make a track like that? It might be easy to make a dubstep sounding track but its not easy to make a good dubstep track. Yes you get all these idiots making tacks that are just wobble and filth and they will sell a few tracks but the dubstep heads dont buy them, they will sell nothing in terms of what a Tempa, DMZ or Skull Disco release will do. I mean artists like Boregore are hated on the dubstep forum its like their version of Pendulum. But I guarentee you if artists like Skream, Benga, Mala, Coki, Loefah had making making dnb I quarentee you would have some of their tracks in your record bag instead of big dnb artists.

Last edited:
Completely forgottem about the Pendulum incident then? Plus the idiots that go to Jump Up raves an run on the dancefloor as soon as Mr Happy or Machete comes on? Yet couldnt name another artist in the genre

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

I'm not disputing that, sometimes I prefer dnb sometimes I prefer dubstep all depends what mood I'm in. I'm just arguing the fact that people are writing of a full genre of music because they've heard what they think the genre is all about and are to lazy to dig deeper. Especially when these people listen to a genre like dnb which has the same problem.

To behonest mate you could say the same about Jump Up, listen to Mala's album Return II Space and try and make a track like that? It might be easy to make a dubstep sounding track but its not easy to make a good dubstep track. Yes you get all these idiots making tacks that are just wobble and filth and they will sell a few tracks but the dubstep heads dont buy them, they will sell nothing in terms of what a Tempa, DMZ or Skull Disco release will do. I mean artists like Boregore are hated on the dubstep forum its like their version of Pendulum. But I guarentee you if artists like Skream, Benga, Mala, Coki, Loefah had making making dnb I quarentee you would have some of their tracks in your record bag instead of big dnb artists.

you mean like this?

and yeah there has been stuff like pendulum and c&s, but to be honest i don't think it ever reached levels like it has with dubstep. oh well, i don't really care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh so I'm naive because you are talking complete shit??

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

I totally agree with you here. But if were measuring what genre is better based on what a bunch of people who don't even really like dnb anyways, then that's fuct. At the end of the day the genres shouldn't be compared at all, dnb ftw

Oh so I'm naive because you are talking complete shit??

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

I totally agree with you here. But if were measuring what genre is better based on what a bunch of people who don't even really like dnb anyways, then that's fuct. At the end of the day the genres shouldn't be compared at all, dnb ftw

In what way am I talking shit? I'm mainly voicing my opinion which is valid in this thread all you've done is come in post saying "get the fuck out" to me with no real reasoning behind you post. So your the one thats chatting shit, you seem about as clued up as a sponge on the subject so piss off.

As for the second bit I cant even make out what your point is apart from "dnb ftw" good argument?

I've been a dnb man since i heard jungle mania 94 when i was a kid, still listen to dnb pretty much daily as well as producing (completely amateur) but have started to switch to a bit of dubstep here and there. The problem i find is that it's very easy to make a shit dubstep tune, and as has been said in this thread already every man and his dog are already at it. However a well produced dubstep tune can be just as epic as a dnb tune, just comes down to how much goes into it. Writing off all dubstep as unlistenable wobble is the same as writing off all jumpup dnb as the same, which again has already been noted in this thread.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, of all the dubstep i've heard i probably only like 3%, but that 3% is some good shit!! I don't think you can write off an entire genre of music based on the common ground shared by a lot of it, the path less trodden offers plenty to enjoy but is often much more difficult to track down.

Just my two penneth.

I've been a dnb man since i heard jungle mania 94 when i was a kid, still listen to dnb pretty much daily as well as producing (completely amateur) but have started to switch to a bit of dubstep here and there. The problem i find is that it's very easy to make a shit dubstep tune, and as has been said in this thread already every man and his dog are already at it. However a well produced dubstep tune can be just as epic as a dnb tune, just comes down to how much goes into it. Writing off all dubstep as unlistenable wobble is the same as writing off all jumpup dnb as the same, which again has already been noted in this thread.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, of all the dubstep i've heard i probably only like 3%, but that 3% is some good shit!! I don't think you can write off an entire genre of music based on the common ground shared by a lot of it, the path less trodden offers plenty to enjoy but is often much more difficult to track down.

Just my two penneth.

i agree with this. but for me, the 3% that is good, doesn't make up for the 97% that is unlistenable.

A good few months ago I decided I would buy a few dubstep vinyl and see if I could mix it,

well,

listened in the shop and when I got them both home one of them went "I want to shoot you in the head"

Great, isnt dubstep nice

A good few months ago I decided I would buy a few dubstep vinyl and see if I could mix it,

well,

listened in the shop and when I got them both home one of them went "I want to shoot you in the head"

Great, isnt dubstep nice

Ino wtf is this video all about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom