Buying CD records

DnBnSmoke

Hey guys. I wanted to know something that might sound dumb.

I started djing about 2 years ago but I always came across this problem.
Here in Portugal the law is a bit of a mess so we're not allowed to play on CDJ's with digital bought tunes recorded at home on virgin cd's.
Every place I ever went always had nice setups but they all had CDJ's and no digital support apart from the USB thing that is not viable in my opinion so I always get to play with this bad controller I have (a Hercules MK4) which is failing so bad due to hardware problems since start.

I wrote this just to ask where to buy CD's since everything is released just on digital support or vinyl. Is there any nice store you guys know?

What? Are you saying you can't play CDs on CDJ's that you've made yourself, even if you legitimately bought the tunes? Chemical-records.co.UK and redeyerecords sell digi n that, but the majority are still just download albums, not the actual proper cd. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here

What? Are you saying you can't play CDs on CDJ's that you've made yourself, even if you legitimately bought the tunes? Chemical-records.co.UK and redeyerecords sell digi n that, but the majority are still just download albums, not the actual proper cd. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here

Yeah, we can't. Even if we present the receipt. Unfortunately the law here is just BAAD. Yeah I need the physical format of the record in order to play it on CDJ's...

I dont understand. Where are you playing that checks your cds first? Say it was made in spain or something. If the laws fucked dont obey it

The place does not check your CD's but we got a kind of Police here called ASAE that take care of all the legal thing about ART. The DJ can get a fine of 1k+ euros for having those out of order. It's not that easy.

what's wrong with the usb?

also vinyl ftw ;)

The USB usually is messed up. Also too bad not all the places I go to play have turntables.

Yeah, we can't. Even if we present the receipt. Unfortunately the law here is just BAAD. Yeah I need the physical format of the record in order to play it on CDJ's...

As far as i know you CAN play downloaded tunes BUT you need a liscence to do so.

Didn't know it was so fucked there man. Maybe try and do a cdj serato type job

Same here in Belgium..

It's pretty fucked up, because if you show your "dj-license" to these people when they ask, they don't even care if your tunes are legally bought or just illegally downloaded from some piracy site

Didn't know it was so fucked there man. Maybe try and do a cdj serato type job

Same here in Belgium..

It's pretty fucked up, because if you show your "dj-license" to these people when they ask, they don't even care if your tunes are legally bought or just illegally downloaded from some piracy site

A lot of countries also have this archaic law including england believe it or not!

If I remember rightly it goes something like this:

You are entitled to perform a piece of music on the medium it was purchased on, and only the medium it was purchased on. I.e. if you downloaded a track from beatport you are only allowed to play that track in mp3/wav format.
So if you own the record, it would be considered illegal to (illicitly) download or rip that piece of music and perform it on any other medium, even though you own the record.

You can buy a license to be able to perform these tracks from bottom feeders like pro dub

To the OP; looking at the cost of the license here in the UK, would it not be beneficial to simply buy this license over in your country. It isn't THAT much cash and if it puts you ahead of the competition you may just see a greater monetary return from your efforts. Therefore; it'll pay for itself!

Back
Top Bottom