Buying 2nd hand 1210s

Blurr

Wasted Selection
VIP Junglist
i think i last had a proper mix on my setup almost 2 years ago when one of my ancient numarks finally kicked it and won't spin smoothly anymore. i didn't have the money to replace it back then but I'm earning now so looking to replace it. if money wasn't a problem, which hopefully it won't be some day lol, i'd have four 1210s and the serato 4 channel mixer, so that's what I'm working towards. at the moment i just want to replace one deck and buy an sl1 box.

so in short I'm looking for any info on what to look out for on buying second hand 1210s, what's a good price, etc.

if you can go and have a look at them ...
check the pitch - when you slide the pitch fader the dots on the platter should stop, slow down and speed up at a steady rate. this will tell you if the pitches need replacing. if the person your buying from doesn't know anything about this then u can blag them and just tell them it needs replacing for some money off.
bit dis-honest but hey. theres probably a video somwehere of how to do this.

check for any signs of wear on the casing, if you see any dents or major scuffs then they have probably been carted about and treated badly.

check the stop button. if when u stop it the platter continues to spin or even spins backwards a little bit after, then the brake needs adjusting. not a major problem tho and its an easy fix, but again you can try your luck to get a few quid off.

you can tell what year they are from the serial number. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200#Determining_the_age_of_an_SL-1200

not really sure what the going rate for them at the moment is tho.

Nah you should be able to get them for less then that. My housemate just bought a pair for £350 with a mixer (can't remember what it was but just your standard £80 odd entry level 3 channel mixer), Ortofon needles and dust covers. They were in good nick, pitches are a little out (but only a tiny bit, you'll probably find a lot of Technics are and you never notice when mixing) and don't wobble at all so all good.

Gumtree or ebay are your friend. Probably gumtree now theyve stopped being made.

Can usually pick them up by the pair only really, but should cost you any more than £400 for the pair.

I paid £350. Mint condish pair. Including postage =)

Also, sl1 is pointless, if you can't afford anything better, consider djfinance =).

Last edited:
thank you ppl, lots of help

but i don't understand why sl1 is pointless? i want to be able to mix mp3s using turntables, and a 2nd hand sl1 box seems the best value for money at this point

and if u can't afford something finance is not the answer, and although it's interest free those are not very competitive prices

i have serato sl1 - it does what u expect it too (y)

its missing some of the bells and whistles of the newer models. but u dont need them

There is a good youtube video somewhere which goes through points to check,

yeah main thing is that dot check on the platter, also when you press stop the platter should stop sharply, check lights work, make sure nothing is snapped off, do they look nice (scratches etc? Have they been used for gigs/taken outside of the house) ask how old they are in years, test them out!

I was lucky as I got mine second hand for 250 pair, about 10 years old by a DJ who used them at home, so thats over 15 years now but they are smooth on the surface and look neat, always had a slight issue with the anti skate still need to get round to a service but if you get a cheap set a service isnt too much about £25 a deck I was told.

Technics are pretty solid, last you a lifetime, also make sure you can some cartridges with them as they can be expensive for a pair.

Also- I would never buy decks without seeing them in person. I mean its like a puppy you want to see its mummy. I remember I kept searching on ebay for ones near me until some showed up- get in fast and send a direct message and that you want to go look

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom