Burial - Kindred EP

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Full-length previews leaked. This has to be coming out any minute now since it was originally supposed to come out January 16.

I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO GET THIS EP.

EDIT:

:/ YouTube audio for the tracks was taken down. You can now preview and purchase them from the Hyperdub Store.

Last edited:
Yes mate! Your a babe for sharing! I was looking for news on this last week, thought we must be due to hear something :lol:

About to listen now :)

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

11.30 long! I am nearing the end of the track Kindred. I am thinking this release will be better than Street Halo :)

Sorry for like, triple posting :lol:

Don't know if you are on Twitter? I follow Kode Nine and last night he said Kindred EP is out on the hyperdub store now :)

Nice.

I love a bit of Burial.

What was Street Halo? Another EP. Last thing of his I got was the Untrue album. What else has he released since then?

Hm? Since Untrue?

Street Halo EP
Fostercare (featured on the Five Years of Hyperdub compilation)
Four Walls/Paradise Circus EP (with Massive Attack)
Moth/Wolf Cub EP (with Four Tet)
Ego/Mirror EP (with Four Tet and Thom Yorke)
Vial (with Breakage on Breakage's Foundation Album)
Thom Yorke - It Rained All Night [Burial Remix]
Commix - Be True [Burial Remix]
Jamie Woon - Night Air (as co-producer)

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Was going to try and wait to get it on vinyl but I couldn't help myself and just broke down and bought it from off the Hyperdub site.

Breathtaking work in my opinion, though he definitely went a little heavy handed on those crackles didn't he? :lol:

I do reckon he is a vinyl crackle fan! :P

I think my favourite track is actually loner. Its kind of got a House beat to it and has that really big bassline backed up with that nice little (I want to say arp but am unsure if I am right :lol:) melody thing :)

Hm? Since Untrue?

Street Halo EP

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Was going to try and wait to get it on vinyl but I couldn't help myself and just broke down and bought it from off the Hyperdub site.

Breathtaking work in my opinion, though he definitely went a little heavy handed on those crackles didn't he? :lol:

Sweet man.

I bought Kindred and Street Halo. Fuck me, the track Street Halo is pretty epic.

Gonna get on the others later.

I think my favourite track is actually loner. Its kind of got a House beat to it and has that really big bassline backed up with that nice little (I want to say arp but am unsure if I am right :lol:) melody thing :)
think you're right tbh mate, whatever it is i know what you mean and it sounds fakkin beautiful.
loner probably my favorite too, feeling that more casual beat and big bassline, although a strong EP overall even by his standards

The whole EP is beautiful imo, been following this thread on dsf for a while now and I tend to agree with most peoples views about the EP there. Burial really is pushing more boundaries with this release then his previous ones, it seems as if he's just making music rather than working on individual tracks, giving the Kindred and Ashtray Wasp more of a mixtape vibe to them. Fucking love the intro on Ashtray Wasp, theres something crazy sexy about the sample of the girl saying "Alright bye", the tracks overall just have an overall great energy to them!!!

As for the sound of Loner it's kind of taken several plays for it to grow on me, my only problem with it are the drums. They don't have the same broken push-pull feeling that his other drums do, they feel quite quantized almost as if he gave sequencers a try again. Drums aside it's still has the buzzy, glowing, afterhours-in-the-rain feeling.

I'm just glad to be able to have it now, been foaming at the mouth to get it since it's announcement before christmas. Burial's a genius and will continue to be an inspiration to my current projects.

I know what you mean man, loner ain't as rough round the edges beatwise. I have been listening to the Untrue album a lot recently actually and a lot of the percussion just drops out at times and relies on hat loops and stuff to keep it flowing. Loner has more of a constant pace I guess?

Its all good though, as it is Burial!

I know it has been said by loads before but Burial is like the Music version of Banksy :) I am doing a photography project on "Urban Life" at the moment and am just really inspired by Banksy, Blek le Rat and Urban Decay related images. Burial provides the perfect soundtrack for when I am out doing all this stuff too!

I am feeling the EPs but does anyone here happen to know any info on a new Burial album? I have always been more of an album man when it comes to sitting down for a listen and Burials stuff is so great as an Album. I would like a healthy mix of Burial Burial (more instrumental driven), Untrue Burial (more lyric driven. all the vocal samples with nice timestretching, pitch shifting etc. sounds mint) and Street Halo Onwards Burial. I feel he is doing some slightly different stuff now too. Basically, I don't know why I wrote all that. I am feeling an album :lol:

Will check out the dsf thread now :)

No news really on a new album. Hyberdub/Kode9 like to keep that sort of stuff rather close I think, good reason too imo. Burial fanatics (myself included) seem to flip when it comes to a new release from him, I imagine Hyperdub has already made a shit load of money with just off the digital and sales of the Street Halo/Kindred combo CD in Japan plus whatever presales from vinyl and thats only going to go up once the mp3s are available at other outlets.

Burial's been really productive lately so I would think that an album isn't too far away, most likely only be new stuff though I don't think some of his unreleased tracks like Stairwell or Lambeth will ever be released.

That's cool about your project too, urban decay photos are sick! Most of that thread is just people speculating about what was going to be on the EP and then when it was going to be out and then about what they thought of the tracks though. Few funny bits though, especially the whole "January" bit :lol:

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Street Halo EP

Sweet man.

I bought Kindred and Street Halo. Fuck me, the track Street Halo is pretty epic.

Gonna get on the others later.

Street Halo is one of my absolute favorites.

As far as I know these releases in bold are vinyl only. I know for sure that the Four Walls one is and good luck tracking that one down, it was super limited edition and copy's are going for ridiculous amounts of money on ebay and discogs.

I am pretty certain it would be new stuff :) I have a feeling that Burials sort of style when it comes to making tunes is like "Right, I am going to sit down and make an album." Or EP or one tune or whatever. Then I reckon he just goes for it over the course of a few days/weeks/months and it all comes together. :)

I just scanned the start of the thread, realised it was a whole Kindred thread made from the announcement then skipped to the last few pages. Like you say, I bet they have made a killing on this already! It seems a huge amount of people have bought it already!

I wish I could have him for like, 30 minutes! I wonder what are his favourite plugins. I wonder how he got into producing and what influenced him too. I know he wants to all be about the tunes and we only knew who he was from about 2008 onwards but he should do more interviews and stuff! :lol:

Sorry to, very slightly, go of topic but I am interested T:M, what was your opinion of Street Halo?

I wish I could have him for like, 30 minutes! I wonder what are his favourite plugins. I wonder how he got into producing and what influenced him too. I know he wants to all be about the tunes and we only knew who he was from about 2008 onwards but he should do more interviews and stuff! :lol:

Sorry to, very slightly, go of topic but I am interested T:M, what was your opinion of Street Halo?

From what I've gathered from reading interviews with him he doesn't use a traditional DAW. He uses SoundForge (which is more so an audio editor?) which is why his stuff sounds disjointed cause he's placing it by ear and I would assume everything is samples. Also if what he and others have said about him is true, he doesn't know anything about music theory and doesn't have a musical background prior to his Burial stuff. It would be very cool imo to at least see a screenshot of one of his projects as it would explain so much I think.

Practically, all my stuff I've been working on recently has been trying to emulate (but not copy) his sound and I've been studying his drums trying to get it to sound right. Quite a few artists make stuff similar to his atm, so ofcourse been studying there stuff too.

Street Halo is just awesome it's got that housey feel to it but it's still broken and I love that opening string/horn sample and that bass sample is sick too, favorite part of the song is at about 4:25 when the vocal kicks back in. The whole EP is really good though in my opinion, I like the mood on NYC and the intro riff for Stolen Dog. Enjoyed the slower BPMs on that EP too, good stuff (y)

Yeah I knew he used Soundforge :P When I found that out I did some research on it and I am pretty sure it is a VST host so he must use some? Probably something untraditional if he does!

Yeah, I read somewhere, I think it was him saying it actually, he places all his drums in there and has no quantise options which is what gives it the loose feel. He also said he doesn't get on with traditional DAWs at all which could back up his musical background! A screenshot would be so dope!

As for Street Halo I was actually feeling that was a little average. I haven't listened for a few weeks now (which was actually my first listen) but I could easily pass on those three tunes and go to his older tracks. I reckon Kindred is superior personally :P

As for you working on the sound be sure to give me a shout when/if you post something! Would love to hear it :) I really wanted to sound like Burial but he became more of an influence in the end as I wanted my sound to have a little bit of me in there. :L Its actually a pretty hard sound to nail though! I would say percussion is the biggest challenge. Not the beat as such but the actual sound :) I saw on dsf the other day (when I was posting around desperate to get my ep heard :lol:) someone did a rather good job!

Sure they wouldn't mind me sharing it: http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=234695 The snare sounds pretty perfect!

Surprisingly, my favorite track (Unite) is actually one that he did using a more traditional daw. Percussion I'm finding just comes down to using some random samples. I've found freesound.org immensely helpful in finding stuff for this purpose and have even made a really sick drum kit out of just this sample (an M4A1 assault rifle).

I've attached an example of the kit after it's been sequenced and processed, not really Burial-style beats but still garagey imo

Attachments

• GunRiddim_wet_BBB_128kbps.mp3
    280.5 KB · Views: 51
Woah man! That sounds wicked :)

The percussion has got really nice clicky sort of rhythm to it, it does sound a bit burial too :)

EDIT: Just to throw it out there I decided to listen to Street Halo again this morning, it was better this time around! I think I would still stand by the fact it may not be his best work to date but its bloody close. NYC and Street Dogs are the better tracks in my opinion :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom