Bulletstorm - Turtle Wax (mixdown troubles)

bulletstorm

VIP Junglist
Hi Guys,

I am working on this tune and I love the work that I have done so far but I have run some troubles.
The track was mixed down using my speakers, it sounded pretty good to me until I put my headphones on.
Suddenly the mixdown seemed horrible, so I corrected a few points but that didn't quite do the trick.
the track doesn't sound as good as it did through my speakers after the first mixdown.

So I would like to know if any of you hear some sounds which seem really out of proportion, probably too loud.
It would really help me out.

Just to note, the intro isn't finished yet. I will put some voice samples in it to create some tension before the drop which is a bit weak at the moment.

and another note, I would also like your opinion on the last part of the tune, around 2:10, I nearly jizzed my pants when I made it haha.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
what speakers are you using to mixdown on? if theyre not monitors you are probably better mixing down on headphones if your headphones are half decent.

referencing your tunes on different speakers can really help too, listen to them in the car, on a friends hifi etc. you will notice little areas that need tweaking.

also before, during and after mixing down a track it can really help to listen to a piece of music which has a mixdown similar to what you are trying to achieve, ie a pice of music form the same genre, but one that is engineered etc to a very high standard.

hope this is of some help to you, sorry if you know it already.

I agree with oversight on this one. The mixdown defiantly needs some work, I would say that the drums for example is way too loud. Kind of sucks the energy from the rest of the track. It sounds like its very interesting sounds in there but I would like to hear it all!

Keep at it :)

I just noticed what Jimpadirt said, I was driving in my car and put this track on.
The track is filled with a lot of bass stabs, noises and crackles put they didn't come out at all.
I'm doing some rework and I will probably finish the tune tomorrow, would love to hear opinions.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey mate,

yep you got some mixing issues there.
First guess, you got a limiter on your master?
Try to EQ your drms and your basses. The intro is very muddy.
Your snare dont cut through your track's core too. Maybe let some high-mids on it so it can pass on top of your bass. make a light hole (EQ)in your synthesis at your snare's frequency peak.
Try some spatialisation too, all your synths seems to be all over the place. IMO you need to have some stuff centered and some panned to add some clarity in your mix.
Just random ideas.

Keep up the good work!

adding onto what the others have pointed out, sick track definitely, but theres something wierd about the hats, too metallic and maybe too much hi end, so cut away a tad of that and add some verb or mess with the envelope to get more release.

lol that drum work is reminding me of mine on my out the shadows remix! well done m8 just stick it to it and do work son!!!

Heaaaaavy. Nice track for sure. I think the guys above me covered the mix. So, I'll just cover the song. It's pretty good, mate.

Are you maximizing all your sounds. Everything sounds overly flat and not so well mixed. The song over all is cool. But sound flat and mucky.

Back
Top Bottom