Building a track around an acapella?

Discussion in 'Production' started by AcidShroom, May 7, 2013.

1. AcidShroom

AcidShroom Member

I was so happy that i stumbled upon Mediks's remix compo, because the acapella is soo nice, I have so many ideas around it. But i cant manage to get the chords right for the acapella. Tried for 3 hours and now i'm in a dead end.

How would u go on finding the right chords around an acapella?

2. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

I use logics pitch correction plugin to find out what notes are in the acapella. Then I guess I build a bassline from those notes! I dont know what DAW u are using or if u got any similar plugin... but another way is to try to play the notes of the acapella on your midi-keyboard or whatever instrument and figure it out that way...

I dont know if it's released yet but if it is u can go to beatport and see what key the original track is! ;>

3. AcidShroom

AcidShroom Member

It's in C# minor scale, but i've dabbled around with soo many chords but none of them seem to fit T_T i dont know what i'm doin' wrong. I'm on Ableton 8 . And i have no clue if there's an pitch correction plug :D anyway thanks for your input!

4. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Np, and if nothing is working you can always go the other way around... Make the chord progression and then pitch the vocal to fit the track!

5. Eskei

Eskei Member

Just listened to the tune, pretty sure it's C# - E - B - A, which is completely different from the chords I'm using for my attempt. Hmmm...

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

Yeah for chord progressions I find it easiest to just play along a section just with root notes until you have those sorted and sounding in key/ interesting.
    Then you can just build a chord from the root notes, ideally using inversions etc to keep the notes around the same octave. If it's liquid drum and bass or something similar, it's cool to try out some major and minor 7th and 9th chords. If you can make it fit you can even chuck in a diminished or dominant chord somewhere along the progression for extra tasty uniqueness.
    Hope that helps- if you're unsure on how to make chords: http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

7. LVB

LVB Active Member

work the other way around, make your tune and change the vocals instead of your chords and stuff :), but I agree, that vocal is a bitch, tried doing stuff with it before haha

8. Nightform

Nightform DuBu

Are you allowed to cut and edit the vocal? You can probably cut the words of the lyrics into samples, then line it up with your BPM and add Effects, seems pretty easy, You need to bare in mind, the importance of your instrument, it needs to align with the voice, that could be why it doesn't sound right, Use bells And Thick Plucks Or something similar

9. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member