Drum & Bass Building a little studio

Discussion in 'Production' started by flopix, Mar 11, 2013.

1. flopix

flopix Member

Hello everyone.Im producing for like a half year now and I need some advice on buying an audio interface.I also want to know if its more necessary to buy monitors first than an audio interface.I got some cheap monitors and a built in soundcard.Recently i have upgraded my computer these are my specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4

RAM: Kingston DDR3 2x 4 GB 2400 MHz

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5 GHz

I would need the soundcard for achieving better sound quality and a some recording with my guitar.
    My budget is 100-150€.
    I have been looking at these two :

http://www.alesis.com/io2express

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFSTRKMK2

I would really appreciate your advice.Thanks.

2. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

I would reccomend the focusrite saffire 6. Maybe slightly above budge tho. Only a bit. I would say get monitors first though to be honest. But if you want to record guitar the soubdcard will serve a purpose

3. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

the focusrite cards are great, many people swear by them. The 6 can be a tad expensive, but theyve just released a smaller, budget card thats got some great reviews: scarlett 2i2

I got a new card recently and wend with the Akai EIE which I'm very happy with.

All the in's and out's plus USB hub sold it to me, its a great sounding card.

As for monitors, stay away from KRK's. Go for the Yamaha HS series or Equator Audio D5's, both these have got excellent reviews. Also, get some stands/mopads to isolate them a bit.

4. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i got my saffire 6 for 125 quid, if you look around online you can get a good price. i also have rokits and am pretty happy with them. i preffered them to the yams personally as i use them for mixing aswell as producing. need to have a listen and make up your own mind really!

5. flopix

flopix Member

Thanks for the advice :)

Hm...Why stay away from KRK's?I have seen some successful producers use them :p.

6. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

From my experiences with them, which I admit are limited, they do not have a flat response. Kinda like 'beats by dre' they boost the bottom and top end.
    So it may sound massively fat on the KRK's, but get it on a decent pair of cans / good rig and its got nothing. This is the sorta thing you dont want from monitors.

The pair I listened to may have been setup badly, but I'd go for the equator D5's long before KRK's, and I did.

7. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Your system specs are on point. If you're running a 64bit OS, perhaps consider upping your RAM to 8GB or 16GB (2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB). This price jump is minimal and you'll get more bang for your buck (assuming your DAW is 64bit).

Both of your audio interfaces are good choices. However, since you plan on doing some A/D with your guitar, consider this beauty:Roland Quadcapture Prior to purchasing my Duet 2 I spent a good deal of time with the Quad Capture and it really captured guitar recordings nicely, very warm tone with minimal latency. I also like that it's built like a brick. :)

Cheers.

8. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Bahh PoppyCock! Rubbish! I have KRK rokit 6's and theyre fantastic! Everything I have produced has been through these bad boys, and I've had no complaints yet, and i test all my tracks on various systems afterwards with no issues in the mixdown!

9. flopix

flopix Member

Yes im running 64bit on fl studio.Maybe you missread i wrote 2x 4GB so thats 8gb.Thanks for the advice :).

10. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Oops...seems math is not my strong point. :) Cheers!