Budget synth

z3ta is one of the best if not the best cheap synth (<$100)

massive is good but not cheap...when playing around with it i often get put off since I've already heard the sound being used in a song.

would recommend zebra and also razor (imo razor is more suited to dubstep) but zebra is normally $150

If you want to learn basic synthesis/sound design any 3 osc synth would be fine...

Syntorial is also a pretty cool program that is definitely worth checking out;)

massive is good but not cheap...when playing around with it i often get put off since I've already heard the sound being used in a song.

This is a statement I read often. However, with all due respect, I can't help but feel that those who make this statement have not taken the time to investigate all of Massive's wavetables in conjunction with the spectrum, /bend+, bend-, etc., filter types, OSC Mods, etc.

See Exhibit A. This gent has taken the time to create animated oscilloscope captures of every single massive wavetable along with their variants when sweeping the WT-Position pot. As you can plainly see, there are a shit ton of variations here. When used in combination with varying modes, filters, and modulations there is seemingly an infinite number of sonic possibilities that can be utilized.

Again, I'm not trying to patronize or bust balls. Rather, I want to make a point that while Massive (or any other popular soft synth) may seem like a one-trick pony, it's only limits are truly those placed on it by the user.

Cheers.

This is a statement I read often. However, with all due respect, I can't help but feel that those who make this statement have not taken the time to investigate all of Massive's wavetables in conjunction with the spectrum, /bend+, bend-, etc., filter types, OSC Mods, etc.

See Exhibit A. This gent has taken the time to create animated oscilloscope captures of every single massive wavetable along with their variants when sweeping the WT-Position pot. As you can plainly see, there are a shit ton of variations here. When used in combination with varying modes, filters, and modulations there is seemingly an infinite number of sonic possibilities that can be utilized.

Again, I'm not trying to patronize or bust balls. Rather, I want to make a point that while Massive (or any other popular soft synth) may seem like a one-trick pony, it's only limits are truly those placed on it by the user.

Cheers.
Massive is treated like that because the some of the wavetables, bend +/-, and sine shaper, can be used to make rinsed, trendy sounds extremely easily. This give a lot of people the idea that these are the only kinds of sounds that you can make, even though it aint the case. You just need to try out the wavetables that you havent heard about, and maybe use the hard clipper or the parabolic shaper instead. Nearly all the neurohop guys use Massive to make their basses, and it definitely isnt noticable.

Remember that Massive is a versatile synth, not a yoi-growl machine

Back
Top Bottom