Budget Synth Suggestions

I'm in the market for a Synth, new or old just has too be under about $700 or 450 pounds about
Any suggestion?

Much Love!

I'm by far no expert on this subject, but i think around that price range your best bet is to try and find either microkorg or a virus on ebay, not the polar just the module with midi input. I may be wrong...

either microkorg or a virus on ebay, not the polar just the module with midi input

What id do for one of those polar's!
Ive got a korg R3, that was around that price range. But tbh at the moment, im only using it to control FM8 through midi! Make sure you deffo want it for a reason would be my only advice. E.g. Buying a wall of rackmount outboard gear will not instantly improve your productions. Be careful with the cash and spend it on something you are 100% sure with! :)

Hey Trapsin, I love talking about hardware synths so I had a think about what I wanted to talk to you about before posting.

First of all, a ton of questions for you to think about - not just on price - when thinking about what sort of a synth you want.

- Analogue or digital?
- Vintage or modern?
- Built-in Keyboard?
- Mono or poly?
- What features are a deal breaker for you?

Once you have figured these out, then think about what you're going to use it for. As in, is this to use with productions or in a live performance situation? Are you looking for a do-everything polysynth or a strong monosynth for basslines and leads?

I have a few ideas of what I'd like to buy but let me know what you want to use it for and I can point you in the right direction.

Hey Trapsin, I love talking about hardware synths so I had a think about what I wanted to talk to you about before posting.

First of all, a ton of questions for you to think about - not just on price - when thinking about what sort of a synth you want.

- Analogue or digital?
- Vintage or modern?
- Built-in Keyboard?
- Mono or poly?
- What features are a deal breaker for you?

Once you have figured these out, then think about what you're going to use it for. As in, is this to use with productions or in a live performance situation? Are you looking for a do-everything polysynth or a strong monosynth for basslines and leads?

I have a few ideas of what I'd like to buy but let me know what you want to use it for and I can point you in the right direction.

Hey!
I definitely want analog because i love the sound of it, but if its a hybrid type of thing i'm cool with that as well
Vintage or Modern, doesn't matter too me
Perferably no built in keyboad because i have limited space, but if there is the max i could do is 49 keys
Mono or Polyphonic, doesn't matter (If it's poly i'll probably do cool pad sounds, if it's mono, i'll probably make bass sounds)
As long as it has that analog sound, and isn't huge, i'm pretty flexible.
Thanx for the help man
Much Love!

The Korg Microkorg or the M-Audio Venom will work for you. Not too much space, not too expensive, all analog circuitry.

Also, you're going to have to spend quite a bit if you're looking to buy a poly synth. I'd start small with a mono synth, and if you're really into it, then start considering a larger investment.

Last edited:
Get down to a shop that sells hardware synths and spend a few hours playing around with them, dont buy a synth just coz you can afford it, buy it coz its fuking amazing and you cant live with out it (or replicate it in a DAW)

Get down to a shop that sells hardware synths and spend a few hours playing around with them, dont buy a synth just coz you can afford it, buy it coz its fuking amazing and you cant live with out it (or replicate it in a DAW)

Well said man! This is probably the best approach. Let's just hope he doesn't demo a Moog...he'll be signing up for a credit card ASAP :)

Cheers.

yeahh what these guys said ^^^

can't live without my virus!

but to be honest the virus ti desktop does everything the ti polar does, you just have to run a midi keyboard through it!

an they are a fraction of the price second hand.

save your penny's bro, it'll be worth it ;)

Virus is an expensive brand of synth but definitely worth their salt for dance music - worth picking up second hand but can still cost upwards of a grand. Check ebay for more information.

The Microkorg is actually virtual analogue (ie: programmed to emulate the analogue sound) but is popular with a lot of groups that do electronic music. The keyboard is also worth having as well, but as you say you need it, this might be less of a priority. Microkorgs and the XL version can be had for around £300 as well.

Moogs are nice bits of kit, but a little expensive for me. There's no denying that they are sexy bits of kit - especially the Little Phatty.

Dave Smith Instruments do Morpho and Tetra synth boxes that might be a good start for you:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/tetra/

As Miszt suggests; get your hands on these and have a play - youtube videos or reviews are no substitute for your own experimenting

if i was going to go for a synth and my budget was lowish I'd save a bit more and get a virus,, maybe a snow? havn't used one before ... but i guess its similar to everything, u make a compromise and end up regretting it later!

Nah, you get one synth and then save up and buy another. And another! Chain them together, make crazy sounds! Mwahahaha!

As for the Virus Snow, I'm not sure I would plonk nearly a grand down for that machine - at least not without having a play with it. They are quality pieces of German engineering, but they are very dear with it.

go to the shops and see what you like the feel of bud

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

by the way i wouldn't have said £500 is really budjet. you'll be able to pick up a really nice sound hard synth for that kind of price.

For me, it's a battle between the Moog Minitaur and Arturia Minibrute. Both are sick monosynths, but I think the Minibrute will edge out the Minitaur in terms of demos I have seen of them (plus I could do with a better quality 25 note keyboard).

Back
Top Bottom