Budapest

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Smickus, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Smickus

Smickus Active Member

Anyone been to Budapest? Recommendation of where to go, what to do etc... And if there are any decent nights over there...

Cheers!

2. Smickus

Smickus Active Member

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i been wanting to go for absolute aaaaages, i hear its the shiz-nite my friend. tricked out.

4. Yorkshire Tony

Yorkshire Tony Active Member

me and the GF are off interailing in June and we are starting in Budapest so will keep an eye on this thread………been told by a mate to cahck out the Rave in a cave and some of the baths there too

5. Smickus

Smickus Active Member

ah sick - i've heard to avoid taxi's if you haven't booked them.... found some hostel for £3 a night but think that would just be too shitty!

they had a pretty good dnb lineup recently, though cant seem to find any (english) sites with dnb mentioned! :(

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

also, I went inter-railing a couple years ago. Bloody good fun! Met a lot of people... Strongly recommend Ljubljana (ly-ub-li-yana) or however you spell it) in Slovenia, Austria, and Germany... Croatia was pretty wank - lots of rude people and not much to do (at least in Zagreb)

6. Yorkshire Tony

nice one, our plan is this:

Budapest
    Brasov (romania)
    Bucharest (romania)
    Varna (Bulgaria)
    Istanbul (Turkey)
    Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Bar 9Macedonia)
    Dubrovnick (Coratia)
    Hvar (Croatian island)
    Pula (croatia)
    Ljubiana (Slovenia)

7. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

budapest is class, search on hostel world for various deals on places, i used redbus hostel once which was smaller but around 12 quiddles a night, but was down teh road from a nice pub with sheesa which was top banana.
    all central hostel is slap in the middle of everything and cheap if you dont mind shared accom (6-7 quid a night, that was 2 years ago mind).
    definitely hit up one of hte baths, we went to sziget baths which was awesome. there is a festival at some point which may be worth checking called sziget fest, always has a decent line up.

p.s. tony, if you go to slovenia, get out to the lakes (bled and bohinj, both are beautiful).

8. Yorkshire Tony

YEAH MAN, BOTH ARE ON THE LIST...AS WELL (damn caps lock) Plitvice national park in Croatia. You done much travelling then mate? anywhere else in Eastern Europeyou consider a must see?

9. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

done a fair bit of eastern europe..

Poland i did krakow, lovely little city, quite touristy but cheap and with enough stuff to do to keep you occupied!

Prague is similar but more expensive, although there is more to do, brewery tours, walks and so on.

Croatia is very pretty but expensive - i'd recommend going to split which is the nicest city i went to (dubrovnik has a good rep too), spend some time there and get a ferry out the one of the island towns (hvar) for a night or two.. zagreb gets boring very quickly, nothing really to do, its just like any other city bar the cannon at noon

Slovenia as mentioned is lovely, lljubliana is a pleasant little city, not a whole lot to do bar the castle, but its one of those places you can just wander round a just watch the world go by (i shit you not police women in short shorts who were both incredibly hot).

Serbia. didn't go tol belgrade was only in the second city novi sad, was quite cool, was only really there for the festival so didn't really form a judgement on the place, suffice to say i'd rather spend an extra 3 days somewhere else as opposed to going there..

10. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Lived there for a bit. I'd recommend going on the trains there, debrecen (no idea how to spell it) has some chill jazz festivals and famous bath springs. In budapest though, go look at near the danube. There's a nice string of restaurants around that river, and a kind of downtown there. OH and the food is fucking good