Broke a cable tip into the input.

Discussion in 'Production' started by kama, Oct 3, 2011.

1. kama

kama benkama.net

Fuck me, now i know why i should have bought the more expensive jacks. Also a mixer that would be constructed like oldschool way, with the strips separate from each other would help. To get the plug end out i would need to dismantle and desolder the whole fucking back panel.

fuck that. 12 channel mixer just became 11 channel mixer.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

if it was only the steel tip it would be ok, i could fish it out with a magnet. BUT NO, THERE HAS TO BE THE MOTHERFUCKING PLASTIC RING BLOCKING THE WAY TOO.

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I feel for ya pal, i really do. That sucks!

3. kama

kama benkama.net

Was just about to set up the sampler & mixer in the new place, plugging cables and shit. What a buzzkill.

4. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

no chance on specialized needle nose pliers?

5. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

or a self tapping screw into the plastic ring?

6. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

Happened to me too. I spent forever trying to fish it out. Couldn't get it, it was really jammed in there. In the end I had to dismantle everything and poke it out. I'm glad I did, because despite the fact I couldn't lift it up and out through the jack, I think it might have been possible for the tip to fall sideways out of the jack and onto the circuit board. Having a loose bit of metal falling around in there is the last thing you want, your 11 channel mixer might suddenly be a 0 channel mixer. Just sayin.

7. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

i have a 0 channel mixer. rarely use it though.

8. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

My condolences, that really sucks.

9. kama

kama benkama.net

I fished out the plastic ring with some MacGyver-level tinkering (involving glue + the core of a ballpoint pen), but the metal tip itself is lodged in there pretty fucking hard.

10. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

i once had thhe same thing with my mixer. just opened it and fished it out in like 5 mins, shouldnt really be toooo hard.

11. kama

kama benkama.net

I got it out but broke the insert in the process. Channel doesn't work anymore :'(

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Yeah I agree, it shouldn't be hard, but Yamaha has made it fucking annoyingly difficult. all the connections on the back panel are in 1 board, and the inputs are so close to each other that I would've had to desolder the input. Don't have the suction-snapper thing at home so that was out of the question. Also these cheap plugs are something that won't attract to magnets properly, that would've been a great help, but no.

In the future, only premium quality plugs for me thanks.

12. ExplodingMan

ExplodingMan Member

This happened to me but in one of my krk rokits, the end of a phono cable is still in there. My housemate knocked it over at our house party last year, i was like "watch out for that cabl........" Crash!!! I have no idea how to get it out, have just been using the jack outputs ever since..... :(

13. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

ah dude i feel your pain. the same thing has happened to my god damn HEADPHONE input into the mixer, my HD25 adapter snapped in there some how. so i can never plug my cans into my desk again :( its bollocks

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

your lucky you have a mixer thats easy to get into then, unfortunately there not all built the same!! unless your any good at constructing circuit boards and welding metal

14. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

no im not particular keen on that, haha.

guess im kinda lucky then..

15. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

my behringer xenyx mixer required removing all the knobs and slider caps, over 40 screws, and unsoldering the jack requires a pretty powerful soldering iron.