Brofski's Hip Hop News Thread

Kanye West has always been one to make big claims, but he may have made one of his biggest claims ever over the weekend. Recently, Kanye discussed his production on the highly anticipated album The Blueprint 3 with Sway and King Tech of the "Wake Up Show," stating that the album is close to completion and he's only three or four tracks away from wrapping up the album.
"I finished [Jay-Z's] album and he released four songs that were potentially gonna be on the album...So I gotta go back and do four," Kanye told Sway and King Tech.
He then went on to explain that one of the beats he created for The Blueprint 3 is "one of the best hip-hop beats of all time."
"I just did one beat the other day in Hawaii—probably one of the best hip-hop beats of all time, if I do say so myself. I just gotta do three more beats and we're done, 'cause he's got classics," Kanye explained. "He's got songs that are better than any of the things you've heard leaked."
As of now there is still no set released date for The Blueprint 3. About a month ago it was reported that Jay-Z would be taking his time with the album [click to read].
Confirmed tracks for The Blueprint 3 include "Brooklyn (We Go Hard)" [click to listen] and, according to Kanye "Everyday a Star is Born" and "Forever Young" will more than likely also be added to the album.
In related news, VH1 will be airing "VH1 Storytellers: Kanye West" on Saturday, February 28 at 9:00 PM. The special will feature Kanye West performing songs from his latest album, 808's & Heartbreak [click to read] along with other Kanye classics.

Haha, he's full of shit.

I hate Kanye West so much as a person. Respect him cause he does is own thing. Most people wouldn't make and album similar that 808s album he made.

The new Hip-Hop Connection (UK rap magazine) has a pretty interesting feature this month, an attempt to decide who really is the best emcee of all time, with the voting decided by 100 famous rappers.

It's a long article, so here are the highlights:

"The Nearly Men" (the emcees who failed to make the top ten by one vote)
Andre 3000 (key endorser, MC Zunmbi from Zion I)
Big Daddy Kane (key endorser, Punchline from EMC)
Big Pun (key endorser, Fat Joe)
Chuck D (key endorser, Ice Cube)
Eminem (key endorser, Lowkey)
Kool Moe Dee (key endorser, Blaq Poet)
Redman (key endorser, Stig of the Dump)
Scarface (key endorser, Beanie Siegel)

"The Top Ten"
10. Nas (among the voters, Common and Lupe Fiasco)
9. LL Cool J (among the voters, 50 Cent and Stricklin from EMC)
8. Melle Mel (among the voters, KRS-One, Geechi Suede and Rakim)
7. Slick Rick ("a strong UK showing...ramped Rick right up the chart..two thirds of his voters copped to an English accent").
6. Jay-Z (among his voters, Dizzee Rascal)
5. Kool G Rap (voted for by, among others, El-P, Wordsworth and Guilty Simpson).
4. Notorious BIG (voted for by Tony Yayo, Uncle Murda, Sonny Cheeba and Cannibus)

BE prepared for top 3........

3. 2Pac (voted for by Saigon, Young Buck, Turf Talk, Joell Ortiz)
2. KRS One (voted for by Ill Bill, DMX and Phat Kat).
1. Rakim (doesn't he always win these things?). Among his voters, Masta Ace, Lloyd Banks, Jehst, Charles Hamilton, Hell Razah and Freestyle.

Not one rapper voted for Ice Cube, Lil' Wayne, Masta Ace (surprising, considering his EMC bandmates were among the voters) or Guru.

100 MCs voted on the "best" MC in their eyes.

This looks interesting...

One Leg Up Records recently announced that legendary duo Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth have some left over tracks from their Golden Era.

Recordings from the critically acclaimed and sound changing EP, All Souled Out, the predecessor to Rock & C.L.’s debut album, Mecca And The Soul Brother, have been dug up and put together on a new five track EP.

These tracks from the All Souled Out recording sessions were something of a myth, until a couple leaked onto WBLS’ "In Control" show almost 20 years ago. Now CL and DJ 4XL have hooked up to not only collect these lost tapes, but the tracks were restored to premium quality and sounds. The EP brings the sounds of the late 80’s meshing into the now famous early 90’s sound.

The limited EP, which will only be pressed for 200 copies, is titled Basement Demos. The price for history is not cheap either, as the collector’s item will set you back $80.00.

The track listing is as follows:

SIDE A:
01. "The Midnight Wrecka"
02. "Cool and Calm"

SIDE B:
01. "Go C.L."
02. "Down To Move Ya Body"
03. "Go With The Flow [Alternate Mix]"

All songs produced by Pete Rock.

Haha, Kanye's a bell end

Looks like Jay-Z’s long awaited Blueprint 3 may never see the light of day. In a recent interview with MTV, Jay seems to have had enough of Kanye West and his over sized ego. The two superstars are currently not speaking and haven’t spoke since this past weekend when an argument sparked in the studio.

Jay was quoted as saying, “Blueprint 3 is over. It’s never coming out. Kanye wanted to take it in another direction and that just ain’t me.”
Apparently, Jay and Kanye were in the studio over the weekend laying down the final masters for the album. They were planning on releasing it on September 11, eight years after the original Blueprint came out.
According to eye witnesses, Kanye tried applying autotune to the whole album without Jay’s consent. When Jay found out, he confronted Kanye who let his ego get the better of him and told Jay that Blueprint 3 will be nothing without him and if he wants to use autotune, then he’ll use autotune.
Jay told MTV, “Kanye and I are through. It hurts me to say it; he was like my baby brother. But he’s gotten too big. He doesn’t respect me like I deserve to be respected.”
Jay continued to say that he will quickly return to the studio with Just Blaze to work on Kingdom Come 2.

Aside from the artists already on his label, DJ Premier’s Year Round Records may also feature albums by KRS-One and MC Eiht.

“I’m thinking about doing a project with MC Eiht [of] Compton’s Most Wanted,” DJ Premier explained to Conspiracy Radio. “We talked about doing an album on my label, and also me and KRS-One talked about doing not Return Of The Boom Bap; we’re gonna do Return Of The Boom Bips. So right now that’s still a go. An all KRS, Premier album would be great.” Besides a "Criminal Minded" update in recent years, the two are best known for their work together between 1993 and 1995, on the self-titled and Return Of The Boom Bap albums. Compton's Most Wanted used Premier to remix their 1992 song "Def Wish II," a song originally have appeared on Music To Driveby.

“The level of the bar was so high that it was really hard to get into Hip Hop unless you really had top-notch skills, beats, rhyming, everything,” DJ Premier explained. “We wanna put that part [to the] forefront. So we’ll do it eventually. It’ll get its spot back, but in the meantime it never died or anything it’s just not as out there as the mainstream watered down rap stuff and that’s cool because it helps us reformat our audience that wants to support this style and the ones that don’t want to support it we’re not making it for them anyway.”

Among the four artists on DJ Premier’s new label, Year Round Records, is Blaq Poet former member of pioneering Queens Hip Hop group Screwball.

“We’re about to drop this album from Blaq Poet. Straight out of Queensbridge. We just shot the video. The album’s called The Blaqprint. That is the official album. I produced the entire album

After finally escaping two high-profile label restrictions, M.O.P. is back with what's being billed as their first official album in nine years.

The Brooklyn natives, Billy Danze and Lil Fame will be dropping The Foundation this summer as well as two more tentatively planned original releases within the next year. While being signed to Roc-A-Fella and G-Unit Records, M.O.P. has recorded several albums worth of material.

Some of the Roc-A-Fella recording appeared on one of several releases under aliases St. Marxmen and Mash Out Posse, in addition to a compilation of greatest hits.

M.O.P. collaborator since the earliest days, DJ Premier will serve as co-executive producer for the upcoming release, along with production from "Ante Up" maker DR Period, Nottz, Buckwild, Red Spider, and Fizzy Womack.

Billy Danze recently spoke with AllHipHop.com and expressed excitement about still being relevant after such a long history in the music industry. “I told y’all we would outlast both George Bushes.” Having released material since George H. Bush was leaving Presidential office, the duo held true on their promise.

Should be good, glad Premo is a part of it. Premo, Buckwild, Nottz & Fame doing production Been too long since there's been an official MOP release.

The group also revealed to AllHipHop that 50 Cent released them from their G-Unit contract, but still retains percentage points of several upcoming works.

M.O.P.’s last major label release, Warriorz, went on to sell almost a million copies with the help of hit single “Ante Up.” The duo hopes their newest album can repeat.

The Foundation is scheduled to drop on June 30 on E1 Music.

SIC063CD.jpg

AZ - I Am Legend
(in stores May 19th)

Track Listing
1. Intro
2. Frontline
3. I Don't Give A f**k
4. Runaway Love
5. Gunz Blazin
6. Candi
7. Out My Way
8. Baby Girl
9. Cali Is Active
10. Baylyfe
11. Cali Is Active
12. Ordinary Things
13. Is A Wrap
14. Goodbye

"So six months from now Blu’s first solo major-label album will be out. He’s planning for something different. He’s been harvesting – hovering over the MySpace page of soon-to-sign Long Beach indie band Avi Buffalo, profiled last week in City Beat. He’s wondering about reaching out to bohemian producer Daedalus. He’s hoping to get the rappers from Pacific Division to sing, and all the female singers he knows (Georgia Anne Muldrow? Niki Randa?) to rap. A project with visionary L.A. producer Flying Lotus is already in the works. (“I’m thinking of making a huge Los Angeles record – of making it with everyone in L.A.!”)"

The legendary Roots crew will deliver their ninth studio album, How I Got Over, in June, as revealed by Black Thought to XXLMag.com prior to the band’s jam session at New York’s Highline Ballroom last night (April 6).

“The new record is well underway—right now, it’s about completed,” said Black Thought. Arriving amidst the band’s touring hiatus, How I Got Over will reflect The Roots ascension in the mainstream as house band on NBC’s Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. “It’s a more celebratory album—the story of triumph and the rise of the brand that is ‘The Roots,’ and how we kept our heads above water consistently for so many years in the game without taking a hiatus, maintaining some love and relevancy for all this time,” said The Roots’ lead MC. “And it refers to the gospel song by Mahalia Jackson. That’s the initial inspiration for the title of this joint. It’s like a moving performance of her rendition of that song.”

The recording process for the album was made difficult by The Roots’ current commitment to Late Night, involving 16-hour days Monday through Friday—due in part to the band’s commute everyday from their home base in Philly to the New York set. “We recorded some stuff right there on set, working in our little dressing room or whatever—just getting it in where we fit in, so to speak,” he said. “We record sometimes after we tape a show for the night—we just hit the studio.”

And on the nights in New York when the band isn’t in the studio, they can be found at the Highline Ballroom, playing a run of jam sessions, the last of their live dates before their touring hiatus. Last night’s show featured guests such as Joell Ortiz, Jesse Boykins III, Blitz The Ambassador, and Roots’ extended family member Dice Raw, among others, to aid in the high-energy improvisation. The shows, set to include a total of 12 dates, have all sold out thus far. Says Black Thought, “It adds on to the understanding of The Roots having arrived.”

As for whether the band envisions keeping this up for the next five years, the length of their contract with Late Night, Black Thought is optimistic. “It’s definitely a possibility as long as we’re able to maintain the same sort of maneuverability.” He insists, “No problems have arisen thus far. - Devin Chanda

Eminem's is out next month I think.

And Dre's album might never get released. It's been 3 years already. It leaked, then leaked again, now his son has died. Between that he's been working on making Bishop Lamont stuff and producing for various people.

Eminem's is out next month I think.

And Dre's album might never get released. It's been 3 years already. It leaked, then leaked again, now his son has died. Between that he's been working on making Bishop Lamont stuff and producing for various people.
Yeah, I got the leak, is any of it legit stuff?

This is good news. Looking forward to this one.

DX: What's the status of the album with Ghost?
DOOM: Now that this one is out the way, progress will be picking up. It's about 40% done. Forty-two percent done, if I had to say. But then it's hard to gauge because everything is speeding up now, so it could probably be done real fast, within two months I could have it done. Madvillain seems like it's closer to being done. I'm working on the shit now. That shit'll be done within the next two months. I don't know when they gonna put it out. Otis [Madlib] is the producer, so I don't really have to do too much. I think on this record, we're mixing it up. I'll have more production on this one. We're thinking of doing half and half on production and half and half on content. I'm also working on a record for Williams Street, that's Adult Swim's record company. I think I'm gonna do [the alias King] Ghidra on there. I'm not gonna set that in stone, but I think Ghidra might be coming out on Williams Street. So by the end of the year, all of them will be done.

Back
Top Bottom