Bristol lacking in D&B

Shock/Tactics

Get the fuck up
I've been coming to Drum & Bass nights in Bristol for the past couple of years, but since I've started Uni here in September it seems like it's house, techno and future garage nights that are dominating, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? And is this common around the country?

Yeh man, basically there are a few nights going on still but nowhere near as much as there used to be. Seems the kids these days are more into the house/techno scene. There just not as much demand for it anymore it seems. Its a real shame, you used to be able to go out on a midweek night and there was guaranteed a night on...

Yes! I have definitely noticed this...a real shame. The main reason I chose Bristol Uni was because it had a thriving dnb scene back then. I haven't scene abstractions put a night on for a long time. Intrigue are still going though. Shock tactics, you're Tom, rob mclavertys cousin yeah?

I've been coming to Drum & Bass nights in Bristol for the past couple of years, but since I've started Uni here in September it seems like it's house, techno and future garage nights that are dominating, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? And is this common around the country?

yeah..house/techno is massive in bristol at the mo...exact same thing happened to me I was expecting more dnb nights.

also whats goin on with basement45? that place seems to have died a little...

is this just not the come down from dnb leaving the charts? Last year we saw the dubstep massive get bored and jump on the hospital bandwagon, no surprises they're bored again already and have fucked off to another genre.

This does leave promoters in a sticky spot though, carry on pushing dead dnb nights or adapt with the times? If youre in the nightlife game for the money then you'll be playing trance and whatever now.

But that isn't what dnb is about, it'll come back round again in due course. Till then everyone who respects the music needs to get out of their bedroom and support their local guys and actually become part of a community.
Its either that or watch the whole scene die, then you'll have even more to moan about.

Yeah it's happening everywhere, at least DnB producers aren't deserting their sound like a lot of 140 producers are atm.

House, Techno, etc. isn't a fad, but what's currently the hype in the UK won't last for long.

yeah..house/techno is massive in bristol at the mo...exact same thing happened to me I was expecting more dnb nights.

also whats goin on with basement45? that place seems to have died a little...

B45 are doing a load of uk garage (artful dodger, mc luck & dj neat have played so far) nights at the moments which are going really well. But the problem is, no one likes basement. It's out of the way and for some reason it just doesn't work. So many people are saying it but no one has the heart to tell Mark (the owner) that that is the case. It's a shame really because it has the potential to be amazing in there. Sound system is wack too

If youre in the nightlife game for the money then you'll be playing trance and whatever now.

This.

I've known about 10 people personally who were all diehard dnb heads that transitioned to the house/trance scene because they knew if they tried to make it in dnb it wouldnt exactly provide any sort of income, regardless of talent.

One of them even said he did it because he KNEW it would be easier to mix and produce & obviously get a bit of cash on the side.

I have no time for these people.

Disappointing though, been to some cracking nights in Bristol over the years, surely with Die, Break residing from Bristol they must have some sort of regular night going on?

Thank god for that! You guys put on some amazing line ups! Edit: And what venue are you gonna use now that Arc Bar is under threat of closure?

That's to be decided. Will keep everyone updated as and when things start rolling again

This.

I've known about 10 people personally who were all diehard dnb heads that transitioned to the house/trance scene because they knew if they tried to make it in dnb it wouldnt exactly provide any sort of income, regardless of talent.

One of them even said he did it because he KNEW it would be easier to mix and produce & obviously get a bit of cash on the side.

I have no time for these people.

I know a couple heads who have done the same. Now i seem to be surrounded by ex dnb head's who have suddenly become house & techno gimps or, even worse, fans of Trap

Why do people think when they stop making/listening to dnb it has to be some sort of big deal? Well done you, you bandwagon jumped, no one cares...

Havnt really been out in Bristol over the last year. From what I remember 2012 was pretty big though.

What's going on with Lakota? Havnt seen many decent line ups since it re opened, not that I've looked.

I quite like B45 too. Better system than what I've experienced in arc and dojo

Havnt really been out in Bristol over the last year. From what I remember 2012 was pretty big though.

What's going on with Lakota? Havnt seen many decent line ups since it re opened, not that I've looked.

I quite like B45 too. Better system than what I've experienced in arc and dojo

Lakota's a weird one at the moment, they still have nights going on but they're pretty weird nights to be honest. They've got Tribe of Frog, which is amazing but thats also at Black Swan every other time, they had a night called Happy Daze there recently which was rammed. Went and saw LTJ Bukem there last year and the place was pretty empty (no idea why - its LTJ!!! Met the man himself as well) So it's pretty hit and miss with Lakota.

Yeah Dojo's soundsystem sucks. Haven't been there for about two years now. Shame though as they often have some pretty good line ups courtesy of Intrigue

B45 are doing a load of uk garage (artful dodger, mc luck & dj neat have played so far) nights at the moments which are going really well. But the problem is, no one likes basement. It's out of the way and for some reason it just doesn't work. So many people are saying it but no one has the heart to tell Mark (the owner) that that is the case. It's a shame really because it has the potential to be amazing in there. Sound system is wack too

yeah was at the luck/neat night...doesnt seem like theres much promo for the place whether people like it or not. I remember a year/2 back a lot of decent dnb nights being advertised there, all of which seemed to have moved to the likes of exchange (also dead soundsystem). Its a shame the place seems like it could be really good.

Black Swan seems sick only been once there and was pretty messy...would love to see a decent dnb lineup there

was gutted i missed that bukem night..couldnt convince people i was livin with...gutted i missed the calibre/d bridge/intalex night at exchange aswell!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom