Bringing Down A Track After A Mix

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
This has really been annoying recently, after mixing two tunes, and I want to take one of the tunes away, the song that is left playing sounds really weak and thin without the other tune alongside it.

I'm not really a cut DJ so my mixes tend to be at least 32 bars, and wondered how to solve this problem and keep a big sound throughout the set.

I've tried:

Assigning the crossfader to smooth fade then using that.

Boosting the bass & mid of playing song at the same time as bringing the other fader down

Increasing gain or fader as I start to bring down other tune

Wait until a breakdown in the song to bring it out of mix

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get round this problem?

Cheers

maybe the tune thats left playin need to be a bit louder so it sounds good without the other playin alongside.
i get this aswell i usually just keep fadin the other tune out till sumfin happens on the other one then i can drop it out completly

its all about the right timing and eqs...

me and a mate have both just started to get the hang of this, it depends a lot on your mixing in as well.

so atm when i bring a tune in, the i cut the bass out (but not completly), then drop the treble a bit and the mids a bit (turn them to about 10 or 11 oclock - maybe as far down as 9 for certain tunes but not much lower). as im bringing the tune in with the fader i adjust the treble and mids, so turn up the tune coming in and slightly turn down the tune coming out. about halfway through the mix i start adjusting the bass and compensating for it on the other channel, so move each to about halfway, then move the playing tune's bass down and the cued tunes bass up a bit etc... if the tune im brinign in is about to drop, i'll take a bit off the playing tune's treble then switch the bass completly. now for the mixing out its almost the reverse of mixing in, at this point the tune im brining in will have all it's eq's at 0 or almost 0 and the tune i mixed into will have them all turned down a bit. i'll bring the fader down a little and drop the bass a bit more, then drop the mids a bit, so at this point it's the cued tune which dominates the mix. after that i just wait for the cued tune to phase, turn down the treble and mids a bit more and at the right time pull the fader down completly or rewind it

as above, it's all about the eqs as well as timing it right, the eq's wont compensate enough if you pull the tune away at a weak point in the other tune, and neither will pulling it away compensate for not eqing

hth

out of interest, what mixer are you using alexi?

If I remember correctly from a previous thread he has a Behringer DJX600.

IMO if you are experiencing this then you are either choosing the wrong time to mix the other tune out or its the wrong tune to bring in in the first place.

There are gains and EQs on a mixer for a reason.

Very simple few things to help...

the tune your bringing into the mix... turn the bass down (if you have eqs... which i hope you do, otherwise theres pretty much no point having the mixer and you should invest in another)..... then when you want to drop the tune your bringing in just switch the basses over... so the tune you had playing now has the bass turned down and the one you was bringin in now has bass on full....

The aim of the game is to take away the attention from the track currently playing and turn it to the tune coming in... Its not that the tune you mix in "sounds weak" its that your attention is still on that track... and therefore when it goes it sounds as though something is missing....

If you just keep in mind that while in the mix your looking for something on the tune coming in to take the attention away from the track currently being played..

If this doesnt make sense let me know ill try explain it a bit better...

Last edited:
Very simple few things to help...

the tune your bringing into the mix... turn the bass down (if you have eqs... which i hope you do, otherwise theres pretty much no point having the mixer and you should invest in another)..... then when you want to drop the tune your bringing in just switch the basses over... so the tune you had playing now has the bass turned down and the one you was bringin in now has bass on full....

The aim of the game is to take away the attention from the track currently playing and turn it to the tune coming in... Its not that the tune you mix in "sounds weak" its that your attention is still on that track... and therefore when it goes it sounds as though something is missing....

If you just keep in mind that while in the mix your looking for something on the tune coming in to take the attention away from the track currently being played..

If this doesnt make sense let me know ill try explain it a bit better...

This!

its all about volumes, use your eq's and gains :)

A neat trick what Andy C does is roughly 2 bars before you want to make the switch and completely take out a tune out of the mix...

You will already have the tune you are bringing in with the bass or low end rolled off sitting in the back of the mix. About 2 bars before you want to completely take out one of the tunes - roll the bass off of the tune playing so there is no low end on both then fade out the tune you want to take out while fading in the bass of the tune your mixing in at the same time. This method eliminates the problem you are having. I personally use VCF's & the 4 band EQ combined when I mix on an Xone92 but you can do it on a mixer with just 3 band EQ

A neat trick what Andy C does is roughly 2 bars before you want to make the switch and completely take out a tune out of the mix...

You will already have the tune you are bringing in with the bass or low end rolled off sitting in the back of the mix. About 2 bars before you want to completely take out one of the tunes - roll the bass off of the tune playing so there is no low end on both then fade out the tune you want to take out while fading in the bass of the tune your mixing in at the same time. This method eliminates the problem you are having. I personally use VCF's & the 4 band EQ combined when I mix on an Xone92 but you can do it on a mixer with just 3 band EQ

yep... this is basicly what i said... except you may want to roll on with the mix... so instead of taking out the trakc before like sub said... just keep it rollin

Cheers for the quick responses

out of interest, what mixer are you using alexi?

If I remember correctly from a previous thread he has a Behringer DJX600.

Yeah the DJX700, not through choice, only finicial situation, but I had the same problem when I was using a Numark mixer before it broke, however back then I spent most of my time concentrating on beat matching rather than the actual mixing

its all about the right timing and eqs...

me and a mate have both just started to get the hang of this, it depends a lot on your mixing in as well.

so atm when i bring a tune in, the i cut the bass out (but not completly), then drop the treble a bit and the mids a bit (turn them to about 10 or 11 oclock - maybe as far down as 9 for certain tunes but not much lower). as im bringing the tune in with the fader i adjust the treble and mids, so turn up the tune coming in and slightly turn down the tune coming out. about halfway through the mix i start adjusting the bass and compensating for it on the other channel, so move each to about halfway, then move the playing tune's bass down and the cued tunes bass up a bit etc... if the tune im brinign in is about to drop, i'll take a bit off the playing tune's treble then switch the bass completly. now for the mixing out its almost the reverse of mixing in, at this point the tune im brining in will have all it's eq's at 0 or almost 0 and the tune i mixed into will have them all turned down a bit. i'll bring the fader down a little and drop the bass a bit more, then drop the mids a bit, so at this point it's the cued tune which dominates the mix. after that i just wait for the cued tune to phase, turn down the treble and mids a bit more and at the right time pull the fader down completly or rewind it

as above, it's all about the eqs as well as timing it right, the eq's wont compensate enough if you pull the tune away at a weak point in the other tune, and neither will pulling it away compensate for not eqing

hth

Yeah I'm doing a similar thing, but then whilst EQin, I relise I don't have any hands left for the faders

Here's my technique...

EQ the song I want to bring in (mainly high and mids)
I put my low's of the track I want to bring in at 9 0'clock, (track2)
bring in the tune till about 80-85%
at the same time put down a lil bit of treble of the tune playing(track 1)
at the last bar I switch my bass to 12 o'clock (and the tune I want to bring out at 10-11)
slighty switch volume of both tracks
right before the drop track 2's volume will be 100 % (track 1 about 50 %)
then bring out track 1

If the intro is a bit longer I prefer to blend my tracks like 'perspective' said...

it should never be written in stone the method of doing it, i generally use the bass cuts, hi and low filters to switch. Or what I find works well is eqing the track that you just brought in to slightly under the top volume level on the channel fader and bring it up the rest as you take the other tune out, this doesnt work well all the time and it takes decent practice to get it down.

to be honest i think your mixer has a lot to do with it. the channel faders are really not that responsive, and only start to get any real volume out of them around 7/8 when it's a massive jump into to the mix.
i'd reccomend playing around with a combo of x fader and channels.

have the channels sitting around 7/8 (of the incomming tune) then use the x fader to gradually bring the tune in, and gradually leading up to the switch, use the channel fader for that last little boost and bring the other track down and out accordingly vice versa to what i just suggested.

hope that helps.

easy mate... two options i would give you are:

a) kill the say 1/2 bass on the one you are bringing out in the first 16, then slowly bring it to 0% by the eng of the next 16 and it should allow the other tunes 'presence' to be felt..

b) cue points... you want points in the tune coming out/in that have a little drama to them rather than flowing straight on, so that it kicks the new track in...

and don't forget gains on the tunes, it might be you are mixing into a quieter track?

easy mate... two options i would give you are:

a) kill the say 1/2 bass on the one you are bringing out in the first 16, then slowly bring it to 0% by the eng of the next 16 and it should allow the other tunes 'presence' to be felt..

b) cue points... you want points in the tune coming out/in that have a little drama to them rather than flowing straight on, so that it kicks the new track in...

and don't forget gains on the tunes, it might be you are mixing into a quieter track?

Are you sayin to have both basses up at the same time?

I say most of the time you can get away with keeping the bass "warm", like 9 or 10 o clock, just trim the track down to 80% and if you want to get rid of the high hats take down the high a little bit also,

there's a few good vids on youtube that might help you out man, a fair few of the dnbarena ones have a birds eye camera angle that shows you the mixer too

Back
Top Bottom