breaks...can someone explain...

justanotherdj

ok so im new to drum and bass and i keep hearing people talking about using breaks. I usually only use single hits, can someone explaing how to use breaks, do you just sample hits from an old break or is there more to it? and does everyone do it?

depends on what kind of tune you are trying to make...

when you make a beat from a break you start by finding a break that has a nice sounding snare and kick. then load it into fruity slicer (or whatever sampler you use) and rearrange it into something more dnb like (the break may not neccessarily be 178bpm or whatever speed you are writing your tune at). youll need to rearrange the hi-hats to get it sounding nice as well.

from then you layer on top another kick to beef it up a bit, then add a snare for some flavour, then add other bits like hihats or tamb loops.

its all down to taste but i like using breaks because you get lots of highs and stuff to fill up the gaps... makes it sound phat :)

check out http://perspective.bandcamp.com, listen to my tune 'i know kung fu'. at the start the beat is just made out of just the break rearranged, then after 4 bars i think the layered snares kicks and hats all drop in too. the original break i used as called 'day by day' i think i got it off the breaks xchange thread off here

hth (y)

watch the chase and status producer masterclass on youtube. well informative.

yea also look up the ones clipz and subfocus done for computer music... not neccessarily about making beats but v. good for new producers

there is a rusko one around too, obv its about dubstep but he talks about adding non-percussive stuff to your beats like vocal hits, can really spice things up (y)

right, i downloaded a break from here and stuck it in the slicex on Fl. So do i just cut it up now and stick the beats where i like and then layer on top?

them vids are good, i watched a good one with benga as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom