DnB 'Break' ulterior motive spectrasoul calyx teebee ed rush etc

w3st26

Just wondering if anybody can help me get my beats a bit more slick sounding and more energetic? I really like the energy and rolling nature of break and other artists in the darker sides beats but I find it so hard to kind of replicate those kind of rollers... Like where to get breaks from how to use them, percussion, layers etc... I hear and read a lot about using compression to mould things together re: drums but I have no idea how it works or how to do it... ??

I'm kind of getting there but my beats just lack that professional quality that I am looking for :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Find really good samples, compress each hit individually, layer hits and then compress them together, compress all the hits in the break all together, sprinkle with distortion and filters and things at different levels and just keep at it for a few years and you'll get there yet.

Yeah, I'll keep at it. I guess it's all just experimentation, I'm still struggling to understand compression but I guess that comes with time and experience... hopefully Logic will help me out a bit as I've only used FL and garageband in the past... Been at it for years but just can't get that sound I'm after. I think Frustration might very well be the name of my first track

The bladerunner sample pack, im sure has a lot of break loops with the rolling nature you are looking for. I bought it recently and its absolute quality. If you want to be more on the original side making your own break just listen carefully to how its structured and try recreate it till you get the jist of it. If your a fl user just open the break sample in a slicer and look at it how the break is structured. I dont know how any of the other DAW's work with samples but im positive they would have something similar.

compression narrows the dynamic range, the threshold selects at what db your audio starts to be compressed, the ratio selects by what degree the dB is reduced. eg. at a ratio of 4:1 the audio over the threshold is reduced from 4db to 1db. this is a manner of boosting the transients of drum parts, attack and release respectively selecting at what points the compression is effective after the given threshold is reached. understanding the biting point you want - comes with time.

Its also notable that some producers may use saturators or other means of overdrive to bring out subtle harmonic aspects of their snares or breaks, maybe driving them through hardware. Tasteful use of reverb on a snare can be useful?

Before all of this using good samples and "layering" of samples is definitive

Last edited:
compression narrows the dynamic range, the threshold selects at what db your audio starts to be compressed, the ratio selects by what degree the dB is reduced. eg. at a ratio of 4:1 the audio over the threshold is reduced from 4db to 1db. this is a manner of boosting the transients of drum parts, attack and release respectively selecting at what points the compression is effective after the given threshold is reached. understanding the biting point you want - comes with time.

Its also notable that some producers may use saturators or other means of overdrive to bring out subtle harmonic aspects of their snares or breaks, maybe driving them through hardware. Tasteful use of reverb on a snare can be useful?

Before all of this using good samples and "layering" of samples is definitive

On a slightly related note the overdrive plugin in ableton is great on drums if you set it to the mid freqs with a slight distortion on about 20% wetness

Using Logic won't make compression any easier to understand, mang.

I used to think compression was a real incomprehensible bitch, now I understand it and I'm kind of getting the hang of it, after maybe a years of tinkering. In FL studio I might add.

Back
Top Bottom