Break LP 2015

yeah, same drums and bass for sure...but the clever arrangement and different vibes created from tune to tune from Break keeps his sound fresh. He has absolutely nailed the 'have your own, recognisable sound' without it becoming boring for me. Each to their own - but I basically thrash every Break record I can get my hands on...

That's the thing really, sometimes he's a bit more cheery, sometimes a bit more moody but in essence it's all the same. Bit of a different arrangement, et voilà.. and it's not the last 2 years you know. That basically made me gotten sick of his sound. I disagree with you @Fallen.GeMiNi there's enough producers that aren't just sticking to one sound and IMO Break has just been doing it too long now. A Hybris 5 years ago doesn't sound like his stuff now. Stray doesn't sound like his sound 5 years ago. Of course there's always a bit of repetition but they're all known for doing something nobody would expect. If anything it proven from stuff like "Elevate This Sound", "Link To The Past", "Oblique" or "Marka" then it's, doing something different will be remembered. But hey don't get distracted guys, if you like this fair enough. It's not for me as it's just too similar to Break's all around sound and I hope he'll switch it up a bit in the future because as you all mentioned he's certainly a skillfull producer.

He's making some awesome reggae with kyo under Degrees of Freedom! First single inc. on Gutterfunk later this month!

It is all opinion, because I love everything C&T put out no matter how recycled some of it may be. Same goes for Break without a doubt though! I guess some people aren't on the same wavelength as the artists as far as their sound goes..

That's the thing really, sometimes he's a bit more cheery, sometimes a bit more moody but in essence it's all the same. Bit of a different arrangement, et voilà.. and it's not the last 2 years you know. That basically made me gotten sick of his sound. I disagree with you @Fallen.GeMiNi there's enough producers that aren't just sticking to one sound and IMO Break has just been doing it too long now. A Hybris 5 years ago doesn't sound like his stuff now. Stray doesn't sound like his sound 5 years ago. Of course there's always a bit of repetition but they're all known for doing something nobody would expect. If anything it proven from stuff like "Elevate This Sound", "Link To The Past", "Oblique" or "Marka" then it's, doing something different will be remembered. But hey don't get distracted guys, if you like this fair enough. It's not for me as it's just too similar to Break's all around sound and I hope he'll switch it up a bit in the future because as you all mentioned he's certainly a skillfull producer.

Well, I for one don't really care too much about the actual "sound" of the artist, but more about what's in it and what's not. I love it when drum & bass tunes have groove, funk, dirt and soul (preferably all of those combined), which Break rarely fails to deliver. I won't lie, he's my favourite producer and it's because of his tunes can stand on its own in your sets as well as when you're listening to them at home. When we're talking names already, Calyx & TeeBee or Hybris now almost solely represent the part which is aimed exclusively for the parties and especially late C&T production lacks the dirt and funk elements, it's just too sterile and clean. Stray (his solo stuff anyways) on the other hand is great for listening at home but doesn't deliver the dirt and groove which is sought after when you want to move your body, not only your mind.

Stray (his solo stuff anyways) on the other hand is great for listening at home but doesn't deliver the dirt and groove which is sought after when you want to move your body, not only your mind.

if that were true, Stray and related artists would never get booked

if that were true, Stray and related artists would never get booked

Well, have you seen Stray playing out? Because I have seen him not that long ago and I can tell you his sets aren't exactly all about his moody production of recent months. And I'm not saying I don't like his music, it's frankly the opposite and I don't mind hearing this kind of stuff at the party either, then again it's not that stuff that makes you dance in the usual meaning of the word. You're more likely floating through the space than headbanging the nearest wall. Maybe it was too harsh from me to call it "not groovy", but it's definitely not dirty :)

Well, have you seen Stray playing out? Because I have seen him not that long ago and I can tell you his sets aren't exactly all about his moody production of recent months. And I'm not saying I don't like his music, it's frankly the opposite and I don't mind hearing this kind of stuff at the party either, then again it's not that stuff that makes you dance in the usual meaning of the word. You're more likely floating through the space than headbanging the nearest wall. Maybe it was too harsh from me to call it "not groovy", but it's definitely not dirty :)

You're missing the point mate. Just because you can't dance to it doesn't mean other people can't. To write it off as undanceable is ridiculous

You're missing the point mate. Just because you can't dance to it doesn't mean other people can't. To write it off as undanceable is ridiculous
I don't think you get me either. By "dancing" I mean raving. Like proper sweaty and shit. Anyone who can rave to Stray's Paradise is either mad or having a seizure...half-time tempo and off-beat rhytmics aren't exactly raving-friendly if you're not epileptic. Dunno, never been to UK party myself, so maybe it's different on your side of the channel, but here, people are swaying to this kind of music at the very best, not dancing. Still, I think it's a pointless debate anyways, everyone has their own preferences and if you're dancing to Stray or dissing Break for recycling, be my guest, just thought I'd add my 50 cents here.

I don't think you get me either. By "dancing" I mean raving. Like proper sweaty and shit. Anyone who can rave to Stray's Paradise is either mad or having a seizure...half-time tempo and off-beat rhytmics aren't exactly raving-friendly if you're not epileptic. Dunno, never been to UK party myself, so maybe it's different on your side of the channel, but here, people are swaying to this kind of music at the very best, not dancing. Still, I think it's a pointless debate anyways, everyone has their own preferences and if you're dancing to Stray or dissing Break for recycling, be my guest, just thought I'd add my 50 cents here.

I could definitely "rave" to 'Without U' and 'Queen' on that EP. The rest of that album I wouldn't say was dnb anyway so is a bad comparison beyond the previously mentioned tracks. I understand what your getting at though and completely agree that Break rarely fails to deliver a track that smashes a dance. Not sure what epilepsy has to do with any of this.

Break has made a gazillion bangers, after that many tracks some of it is bound to sound the same.
This discussion is whack.

I bloody love Breaks output. Yeah he has a formula... but so did The Beatles, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Oasis and more recent's like Ed Sheeran. These people are popular for their sound. What they've crafted / created. What they've worked their balls off for.

I don't look at D&B or the wider spectrum of music with different eyes to the mainstream. It's the same thing only in smaller scales to me. Break works his balls off and puts out music that yes, has his 'trademark sound' but keeps the consistency and quality high unlike so much watered down, drab rubbish that releases every week alongside it.

The point about Stray etc also shows the big change in the D&B scene. It's not 110% bangers anymore. There's a hell of a lot more creativity and open space to work within. I love the fact that you can really spread a 2 hour set across so many different sounds and levels. I love the fact that as a DJ I can turn up to a club and based on the crowd and the DJ before me have x amount of different options to open up with.

Personally if it's about sweating your tits off and raving you need to be seeing Hazard!! :)

My final point:

Being 85 / 170 BPM doesn't automatically make it D&B. It makes it mixable within a set is all!

are there other clips of the album yet?

;) up today - http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/vinyl/66222-symmlp004s2-break

Break - Ft. Singing Fats Free Your Mind / Brand New : Symmetry Recordings Symmlp004s2

300361-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom