Break / Icicle style gritty noisey sub

Misti

Keep It Rolling
Yoooo looking to re create the high end grit used in a lot of new productions coming out at the moment. Icicle and Break have great examples of this:

I've had a good mess about in massive using different noise layers and high frequency modulated saw waves but can't seem to have much luck... Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me!

I just can't seem to get the grittiness out of it. When I distort it always ends up too smooth and grainy. You got any specific plugin recommendations @mugatu ?

I just can't seem to get the grittiness out of it. When I distort it always ends up too smooth and grainy. You got any specific plugin recommendations @mugatu ?

Ni massive can do this all built it. Sine with bright noise using sine shaper distortion. I would maybe using ohmicide if i wasnt using massive for the distortion

If watch the Icicles most recent Computer Music Masterclass he shows an built-in Ableton plugin that adds white noise to any sound

there's loads f different ways you can do this.

one good way is getting a piece of noise and putting a volume lfo on it (like the auto pan in ableton or something) and then turning the rate to the frequency of the note that is the same key as your tune.

also if you have serum you can just make a big bassy noise with some nice top end, put in through the multiband compressor and take out the mids. that way you get a really dirty bass with loads of space in the mid range to fit your drums into

I like to use tube distortion and guitar amps to get some nice harmonics, give it some movement with a filter or EQ, then bounce it out and put it on top of the sub AGAIN then run those 2 or 3 through another filter together, bounce it out again yadayada

I usually use wave arts tube (the old version is now free) and logic built in guitar amp pro (and always camelphat) but im sure there are lots of good ones.. for a heavier distortion like in Anode look at kombinat or ohmnicide or even WOW 2

Last edited:
Ive found OTT (same compreasor as serum but stand alone and more controllable.. and free!!) Helps a lot with this and gives me more control than the built in multiband. Give it a google im sure its still out there.

Back
Top Bottom