Break / Beat edits

Dubsta

VIP Junglist
Whats your favorite edits when making a track to keep the beats/breaks interesting.... ive really been struggling lately to get things interesting. I mean at the end of each break section i usually drop out a kick or snare, add a kick, maybe a drum roll.... pretty standard stuff really. So ive been dabbling with adding a bit of automated effects such as a really strong reverb over a small time (like 1 bar) automated to go from the strong effect to normal. Also been using a lot of high passed effects but i just cant help but overkill this.

Whats your litttle tips and tricks? Sometimes the more subtle edits are best. I think edits are so under valued in music production. Theres so many tracks out that the beat literally is the same for the entire track.

Bouncing down the drums and opening the bounce in Alchemy as a granular ting. Then I'll mess around with the stretch, position and grain size as well as maybe adding a comb filter or ring modulator and automating the settings. A lot of the time it will be out of time, so I'll bounce it again and fix the timing with Flex time.

Once that is done I'll probably spice the resulting audio and load it into the esx24, so that I can create a number of new patterns to fit with different parts of the track.
I might even pitch it up, adjust the envelope and have it as additional percussion for later on... Or as a layer over the original break.

I like adding a more aggressive but subtle snare layer, try and make it sound like the drummer is going that much harder for that section, if i'm doing this i may bring the ghost snares up in the mix to pick the energy up.

other than that, basic pattern edits, additional high end percussion, layered high-passed breaks etc.

you could always try adding a little... bongo

This is Donk.
I use his cowbong.

320x240px-eda453f4_56893.gif

Give yourself more than 1 bar for a change up. I'll listen to jazz anytime I'm stuck arranging drums. You can adapt ideas from live drumming in many more ways than sequencing with effects, layering, gating/muting.

Back
Top Bottom