bpm?

i always try to pitch down in stead of up, the tracks usually sound better when they are pitched closer to 0% If you are pitching your tunes +4% they sound a bit too frantic for my tastes.

Why does everyone seem to pitch up? If everyone plays at around 180 bpm then why aren't dnb tracks all made around 180 instead of 172-175ish?

I dont get it. When I DJ in my room, I usually play at 174-175.....

make tracks at 175

when using CDs, usually just pitch up about 3 or 4 to get a better bitrate

when playing liquid about 176

when play dancefloor or playing out about 180

Depends what sort of set im doing.
if im doing a deep chilled out liquid mix i wont speed it up too much.
I like mixing chilled stuff at 170.
something you lose the soul of the music when you speed it up too much.
I'll play a 174 tune at about +4.8 if im doing a mental mix

when using CDs, usually just pitch up about 3 or 4 to get a better bitrate

What the heck does that mean? How does speeding it up make any difference? CDJs are just emulating a vinyl deck anyways.. I'm confused on your theory lol - A track made at 320 is only guna be 320, you aint guna gain anymore by speeding it up, Shirley?

What the heck does that mean? How does speeding it up make any difference? CDJs are just emulating a vinyl deck anyways.. I'm confused on your theory lol

Takes a while to get your head round but I'll try and explain it

if a 320kbps mp3 is burnt to CD, it's upped to 1411.2 kbit/s, red book standard etc. but there's still only 320kbps of data there.

as an easy example, if you speed your cd deck up +100% you are then playing it twice as fast, you'll be playing two seconds worth of music every second, so will essentially be playing a bit rate of 640kpbs.

It doesn't make a huge difference and you're not going to be playing +100%, but +5% or so can just slightly improve a MP3 that's less than 256kbps.

Hope those ramblings clear it up a bit

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

it's the opposite of how slowing down sampled breaks when producing can make them sound awful unless they're WAV

Why does everyone seem to pitch up? If everyone plays at around 180 bpm then why aren't dnb tracks all made around 180 instead of 172-175ish?

I dont get it. When I DJ in my room, I usually play at 174-175.....

Pitched up mixes just sound a whole lot better, dunno y just does. I mixed at 174 for the first year, now I mix at about 180-185
Sounds much better imo

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

i mix pretty fast, don't know the bpm but im generally mixing around the +6 mark on the pitch

yep me too

Back
Top Bottom