BPM question

KingFish

so ive got this program called mixed in key
downloaded an elder version cause i wanted to see if it's worth anything. basicly what the program does is analyse your songs and gives you the key and the bpm of the song
now this may be a stupid question but the bpm's the program show look unreal!? for instance the song
*counterstrike and gein - pentagram | key: 3A | bpm: 88
most of the songs the program analysed are around the same bpm... figured the bpms were wrong since this song sounds to me like its around 180 bpms ....
so whats wrong here?
thx

i want to know why this program tells me the beats per minute (bpm) of this song is 88, i just dont understand! are there more ways to tell the bpm's of a song? cause i thought dnb was around 175 and not 88!

u key them in 88bpm
but u think they are at 180bpm

dude your from Belgium 2nd home of dubstep
i know lot of Belgium pepole talk english

plz xx

i want to know why this program tells me the beats per minute (bpm) of this song is 88, i just dont understand! are there more ways to tell the bpm's of a song? cause i thought dnb was around 175 and not 88!

ow right

88 is more dubstep

u sure u ant got dustep on lol

88 doubled = 176, probably right [its just counted it at half pace]
88 is nowhere near dubstep, dubstep is 140 +-2

downloaded an elder version cause i wanted to see if it's worth anything. basicly what the program does is analyse your songs and gives you the key and the bpm of the song
now this may be a stupid question but the bpm's the program show look unreal!? for instance the song
most of the songs the program analysed are around the same bpm... figured the bpms were wrong since this song sounds to me like its around 180 bpms ....
so whats wrong here?
thx

Sounds to me like the BPM counter is working in half time - only picking up the snares perhaps - the tunes probably 88x2 = 176bpm.

Personally though I don't think BPM counters are of any use atall if you want to learn to mix proficiently.

Edit: Dubstep isn't 140bpm, more like 80-100. 140 is about Trance territory..

sorry if my english is so bad...
just dont really know how to explain myself on this one..
i will try to make this clear okay?
on chemical records i get this:
Counterstrike & Gein Pentagram 3A 175bpm
now when my program analyses the same song i get this:
Counterstrike & Gein Pentagram 3A 88bpm

i dont have this problem just with this song but with all the songs that are analysed by the program. so i was thinking or this program gives me wrong information or there are other ways to tell bpms?

am i making myself clear now or?

Sounds to me like the BPM counter is working in half time - only picking up the snares perhaps - the tunes probably 88x2 = 176bpm.

Personally though I don't think BPM counters are of any use atall if you want to learn to mix proficiently.

Edit: Dubstep isn't 140bpm, more like 80-100. 140 is about Trance territory..

Dubstep is bang on 140BPM mate

Chase & Status make all their dubstep tunes at 140BPM

so whats wrong here?
thx

if all the music u are placin into the "programme ive never heard of" and its all comin up with 80-90 bpm then its the software itself in how it calculates ? unusual i have to say but hay never used or heard of it ,... find a better programme , tractor something like that is the bomb and when u see ppl use it properly its mindblowing ... goodluck hope u get something sorted !!! :D

all it's doing is reading it at half time, loads of programmes do it for some reason.... so your 88bpm tune is 176bpm, theres usually something in the options like the bpm range, try setting it to 110 - 190. if not it doesnt really make a difference. if you're playing them through traktor you can double them up anyway

mixed in key is a good programme though i downloaded a demo of it a while back for when i do digital stuff

hope this ramble helps :rinsed:

I use Traktor 3, it does the same. It will even analyze to a quarter time.
The digital world is not perfect, but there is always a way round it :lamur:

b85200-721.jpg

Last edited:
BPM counters really struggle to analise drum and bass due to the complex drum patterns.
On my tractor scratch I commonly have tunes being displayed at 40BPM etc.
My advice is learn to mix using your ears and if you still want the BPM count it yourself.

jeah I will give it my best shot though I dont really seem to get the hang of it...
ive only been able to beatmatch c&s - smash tv with mist - outtaspace but this dnb really aint my cup of tea ive got loads of darkstep but everytime i try mixing it, it sounds like trainwreck :D

Back
Top Bottom