BPM Limits for Drum & Bass?

NinoDnB

I've recently been wondering about this, the wiki article on DnB says that it ranges from 160-190 however 90% of DnB nowadays seems to be between 170-176, do you guys know of any DnB tunes at the other ends of the spectrum out there that I'm looking straight past?

160 sounds way too slow, and anything over 181 sounds way too fast . I always mix around 178/180

Last edited:
I own a fair few tunes that sit at about 86 bpm.
Often artists will slow the bpm number and add 16th note rhythm to speed it up. It opens up a new world for syths and tabla
Dub is deemed 140 its all personal preference

I've recently been wondering about this, the wiki article on DnB says that it ranges from 160-190 however 90% of DnB nowadays seems to be between 170-176, do you guys know of any DnB tunes at the other ends of the spectrum out there that I'm looking straight past?

some of the harder, verging on gabber/hardcore, dnb can be 182-185, never heard a tune considered "dnb" thats been 190, then its just gabber...

Guessing it says 160 because of jungle, isnt the original renegade snares like 156bpm

I don´t think it´s slower than 168.
I concur.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. These days 170 -180bpm is the normal range but depending on when define the transition from Hardcore to Jungle D&B you could go down to the low 150s (especially the early Good Looking stuff e.g. Atlantis, The Western Tune).

I own a fair few tunes that sit at about 86 bpm.
Often artists will slow the bpm number and add 16th note rhythm to speed it up.

I can pretty much guarantee that no d&b tune is at 86 bpm.
You've probably got some dodgy bpm detection software that says the tune is half as fast as it actually is.

I can pretty much guarantee that no d&b tune is at 86 bpm.
You've probably got some dodgy bpm detection software that says the tune is half as fast as it actually is.

This.

Most software that detects bpm's are expecting tunes with nice easy drum structure like house etc, so it counts half the number of beats than there actually are.

182 bpm is the maximum i'd make a tune, although 177 to 180 is perfect i think. some tracks sound better at 175 or lower depending on style. so basically i'd say it depends on the track. rules are pretty stupid in music though, tempo should not define a genre whatsoever.

LTJ Bukem - Atlantis (I Need You) must be around 165bpm

Back 2 Your Roots (Friction & Ktee Remix) is 180bpm

How? It's one of the easiest tracks to mix I own. There's a drum beat from the start

I know I know, but I had no idea it was so fast, and when I started it I had the pitch like +4 or something. so it always sounded way too fast and it took me a while to realise the tune was 90 bpm itself

Back
Top Bottom