BPM Counter

the are completely pointless when mixing dnb, all dnb is made at pretty much the same speed

the only logical use i see for them is if you mix a genre like hiphop... some tracks can be made at 90bpm some could be 150bpm, and it would help to know roughly what speeds your tracks are before you try and mix them

back to your original question.... do they work??

ive never used a proper one but im guessing that they most probably dont unless your mixing something with a straight four to the floor beat... or they calculate the bpm by you manually tapping the tempo

there are freeware bpm counters available on the net that work by tapping ;)

The mixmeister free software one works perfectly but its only helpful with mp3s (remember to double the speed it gives you. It counts dnb as being half as fast as it is. Perfectly apart from that). A slight difference in bpm makes a major difference in mixing so a good counter could be helpful if you can't match by ear. But you should be able to. Most software and hardware counters are shite.

I personally dont think they work and they dont lock, their never accurate, their good for getting you in the ballpark area of the pitch but other then that its prtty much just for looks. Some one told me one time that you mix with our ears not our eyes why would u want to watch a bpm counter and it kinda made sense.

Let me be clear on this issue, the Mixmeister BPM counter is accurate as fuck. The reading you get is the same as on the producers production software,

the only plus point of these is when you get a tune and you might want to know the bpm.
but i mean, most producers use the same bpm everytime they do a tune, so you always roughly know where to pitch it in relation to other tunes when you're mixing, eg

dillinja - 172
tc - 173
almost all other producers go off around 174
g dub/taxman/jayden/hazard - 175
clipz/die - 176
modified motion - 178
hazard does a few at 180

you get the idea.
but as for using one when mixing, pointless. but as a bit of homework when you get your tunes, it can help i guess.

dillinja - 172
tc - 173
almost all other producers go off around 174
g dub/taxman/jayden/hazard - 175
clipz/die - 176
modified motion - 178
hazard does a few at 180

you get the idea.
but as for using one when mixing, pointless. but as a bit of homework when you get your tunes, it can help i guess.

Now there's an interesting post - I'd noticed Dillanja produces his tracks a little slower than most (always need to pitch his tunes up a bit more than otheres when mixing them), but it's good to see some numbers..

Some are real real fast though - How F*cking fast was "Back to your roots" Friction & K-Tee mix?

Yeah I thought it must've been right up there... Once or twice when I've mixed that tune into a set I've had to stray into the minus side of the pitch control.... weird

Wonder why the hell they decided to go with that BPM? Perhaps because of the vocal sample? Seeing as most DJ's play their sets pitched up a few percent, if they were to record this at 174 or around there, and then people were to pitch it up 3-4% as they do with most other things the vocal (which is already quite high pitched) would sound too "pitched up" and squeeky... better just to record it at the tempo people will be playing it at anyway and stop the vocal sounding too high - this is purely my theory though!

BPM's are never to be used to DJ. You will never get anywhere if you use them for that purpose. They are lame. Stay away from BPM counters.

Back to your roots i had measured at 184 bpm but dont blame friction and k tee...

jonny l original was 184bpm and friction and k tee when they made the remix didnt want to mess around with the vocals so they had to make there song exactly the same bpm but it dont matter cus in my mixes i just turn it down to match the other tunes...i think?

i havnt bothered to calculate but distorted minds songs like old times where fast wernt they? like in the 180`s? can someone be calculate that for us?

its weiredly interesting to know!!! :D

Last edited:
Ive always mixed using my ears and its the best way. When I got Traktor scratch it does have bpm counters and they are completely inaccurate lol.:teeth:

From what I've seen, a lot of BPM counters only go to 160-170, then get really confused when a track goes above there and try to tell you half tempo and full tempo at the same time.
Use yer ears like!

Back
Top Bottom