bose speakers

zeeky deek

Moaning all the time.
VIP Junglist
been offered me a pair of bose mms-1 speakers with a 1705 bose amp, wanna know what peeps reckon of these, usually bose stuff is pretty decent, but not sure about these as every site i found is in japanese, anyone know aything bout these?

hmmm, couldn't find any direct information about those speakers in particular but I would question the use. Remember that a good speaker is not a good speaker. My HK's make good surrounds for my tv but I wouldn't use them as monitors. Same as you wouldn't expect a studio engineer to hook his NS-10m's up to his telly. Horses for courses. To the best of my knowledge Bose make really good speakers for commercial use ie- pubs, restaurants, up-town clothing outlets etc and decent speakers for home entertainment (although the guys from diyaudio.com dont seem to favour them very much) so the question is..... what do you want them for?
hope that helps.

it's always a good idea to write your tunes for the characteristics of the speakers that it's ultimately going to be heard on...... ie a club/pub PA.

I see lots of producers listening to every little technical nuance and imperfection on their HR824's - busting their nuts trying to make it perfect - but if it sounds good at the end of the line what else matters?? it could sound phat as fuck in a club but shitty on a pair of NS10's - doesnt matter.

It's a similar argument to the whole "mono bass" newbie producer syndrome - every wannabe dnb producer singing "ohhh your bass has to be in mono otherwise the needle on the record will skip!!!!" - NEWS FLASH!!! you haven't pressed any records yet!!! THE NEEDLE IS NOT GOING TO SKIP ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!!!

sorry had to get that of my chest - anyway yeh, it's more important that a tune should sound good on "commercial" sound systems - cos that's what people are ultimately gonna be hearing it on!

Affliction said:
it's always a good idea to write your tunes for the characteristics of the speakers that it's ultimately going to be heard on...... ie a club/pub PA.

I see lots of producers listening to every little technical nuance and imperfection on their HR824's - busting their nuts trying to make it perfect - but if it sounds good at the end of the line what else matters?? it could sound phat as fuck in a club but shitty on a pair of NS10's - doesnt matter.

It's a similar argument to the whole "mono bass" newbie producer syndrome - every wannabe dnb producer singing "ohhh your bass has to be in mono otherwise the needle on the record will skip!!!!" - NEWS FLASH!!! you haven't pressed any records yet!!! THE NEEDLE IS NOT GOING TO SKIP ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!!!

sorry had to get that of my chest - anyway yeh, it's more important that a tune should sound good on "commercial" sound systems - cos that's what people are ultimately gonna be hearing it on!

You're talking a load of bollocks here mate
When you make a tune that sounds good on monitors it should sound good on all systems, whereas if you write on a hifi setup chances are it will only sound good on you own setup and not really on anyone else's, as you don't get the full picture.

And about the mono bass thing. yeah so they may not have pressed records but they want to and who's gonna press one that'll skip? nobody!

Tunes that sound good in a club but shit on a home system probably won't get bought either as you have to listen to them on headphones or in a shop, you don't buy them in a club.

Back to the issue.
I wouldn't recommend bose for production, they don't have a flat response

Serum said:
You're talking a load of bollocks here mate
When you make a tune that sounds good on monitors it should sound good on all systems, whereas if you write on a hifi setup chances are it will only sound good on you own setup and not really on anyone else's, as you don't get the full picture.

You're putting words in my mouth now - never said he should be writing his tunes on a hifi setup - i was only pointing out that monitors aren't necessarily the best thing for getting the overall picture of the track either - you need to hear it as it's going to be heard by everyone else. Any producer will tell you it's a good idea to listen to a track on multiple commercial systems, car stereo's etc etc after mixdown.

Zek never actually specified what he wanted the speakers for... (you seem to assume he's going to be writing on them). Personally i would find it very useful to have a decent commerical soundsystem alongside my monitors.

I have those Alesis Monitor One's, they're very nice in my opinion. So if you are producing and don't want to spend a bomb, get those (y)

i find that you have to turn boss stuff up a lil more than average to get the bass....so personally i wouldnt reccomend them

...anyone else?

Again, without knowing the specs of the speakers nor what they are wanted for it is impossible to pass judgement on wether he should get them or not. Bose are good at what they do but what they mainly do is background sound and home theater sound. If you want them for those kinds of applications and have been offered a good deal on them then grab it. If you want something to write on buy a pair of monitor speakers. You write and master on these. But it is also important to listen to the track on other systems as a reference. But only as a reference.

Back
Top Bottom