Boring structures

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
Too many tracks are built just like their neighbours. 64 bar intro pre-drop with a catchy vocal sample, then you mangle on with the bass with little variation.... then you have the breakdown. Why is there always a breakdown? What the hell? Why must every tune drop like its larger than life, the breakdowns are nice but why is there always one? I make them too tbh. fuck me.

damn im tired its 6 am already?

you should hear phuture-t new tracks, disconcertingly good with rather unorthodox structure. of course they are rather drumfunky so that might be why. but the charachter he gets to the breaks the sound he brings out of them is just bigglesworthingtonsmans-upon-thyme

You couldn't have a tune with a 13 bar pre intro followed by a 17 intro into a 10 bar drop with a 4 bar reprise followed by a 21 bar roll out etc etc

Well, YOU COULD. But no one would play it and seeing as most tunes are 'broken' at raves it doesn't leave much room for imagination unfortunately - unless you just want to create an exciting piece of 'music' at 170+bpm

unless you just want to create an exciting piece of 'music' at 170+bpm

there are people that do that. what was his name? the guy made an album, something to do with manhatten, had a pirate ship in space on the front cover, there was a forum comp to win a copy? anyway, his album was slightly beyond the norm and if you listen to telemetrik's stuff, he arranges things less conventionally than his peers as well.

but what i'm trying to say is... slightly what rhys was pointing out... that you can't produce really innovative and structually new dnb without losing the essence of the music, because the essence of the music is the "mix". if you fuck with the arrangement too much, deejays won't play it because they don't know how.

You couldn't have a tune with a 13 bar pre intro followed by a 17 intro into a 10 bar drop with a 4 bar reprise followed by a 21 bar roll out etc etc

Well, YOU COULD. But no one would play it and seeing as most tunes are 'broken' at raves it doesn't leave much room for imagination unfortunately - unless you just want to create an exciting piece of 'music' at 170+bpm

dont know man, decoder & substance use to throw odd bars or half phrases all over their dnb tunes, almost as if to make em harder to mix. and people did play their tunes a lot. check "dialect ft mc jakes". just impossible to mix straight with another tune, but that pushes you to be creative, and not rely on the tune's arrangement and phrasing notifiers, but instead create your own.

Last edited:
A good argument for DJing with tools like Traktor and Ableton?

very good point. with vinyl you are destined to use just the arrangement that's printed. cdjs give you a bit more freedom with cue points and looping. but software mixing really lets you to zoom in and do whatever the fuck you want. turn segments of laid back tunes into half bar techno monsters a la proket, or play a tune from the drop and use the into later as the brakedown. you can go nuts. it really baffles me that people still think of such mixing as effortless and cheating..:(

i dont beleive that. cant be. i dont dj but still, i thought djing was just like any other instrument. just got to learn how to play it well, if you can play it well surely any tune is mixable. what about drumfunk, and stuff from planet mu and the like? ive heard splendid mixes with that material and i think that kind of tune doesnt keep to any specific kind of structure.

Last edited:
very good point. with vinyl you are destined to use just the arrangement that's printed. cdjs give you a bit more freedom with cue points and looping. but software mixing really lets you to zoom in and do whatever the fuck you want. turn segments of laid back tunes into half bar techno monsters a la proket, or play a tune from the drop and use the into later as the brakedown. you can go nuts. it really baffles me that people still think of such mixing as effortless and cheating..:(

exactly this. its only cheeting when you pre pitch but other than that its all fun. wish i had another cdj :/ im using mine more and more these days.

amen to you brother

Back
Top Bottom