Bootleg question

flopix

Hi everyone.I want to make a bootleg of a track, but Im not really sure if I know what a bootleg is...Is it just a remix without the artists permission?Can i just buy the track, remix it,upload it and call it a bootleg?
+Is it worth buying wav over mp3?Is there any noticable quality difference?

As I understand it, a bootleg is using copy righted content without consent.

It's not legal though. Just tagging something as a bootleg will not protect you from copyright laws. Your only hope is to release it for free an hope the original artist turns a blind eye. Other wise you may end up defAending a copy right claim in court.

Some people believe that you can upload bootlegs for free download and as long as you are not making any profit you can't get sued. This is all bullshit. You could still get sued for using copyrighted content to further your career and end up with a fine.

Hi everyone.I want to make a bootleg of a track, but Im not really sure if I know what a bootleg is...Is it just a remix without the artists permission?Can i just buy the track, remix it,upload it and call it a bootleg?
+Is it worth buying wav over mp3?Is there any noticable quality difference?

Yes, as long as its not a Goldie track.

Otherwise it's the stairs for you

you wont get any problems if you dont try to make money out of it

even if you do sell it then its gonna take time and more importantly MONEY for the original owner to get you to stop doing it

making a remix / bootleg or what ever for your own pleasure is not illegal

you wont get any problems if you dont try to make money out of it

even if you do sell it then its gonna take time and more importantly MONEY for the original owner to get you to stop doing it

making a remix / bootleg or what ever for your own pleasure is not illegal

There's much controversy on remixing/bootleging a song. Most of people tend to say you won't have problems, because you're not making money out of it. Or you are far too underground to big labels to notice.

IMO, yes, you CAN get in trouble by remixing/bootleging a song, as unlikely as it may seem, but as far as my research got me, you'll not always be fined money for it. Sometimes the label will just require you to remove the aforementioned remix of the platform you're using (soundcloud, etc). Therefoe, I tend not to remix songs, unless I'm taking part on a remix contest. Hell, I don't even sample other music/movies because of it!

Regardless of whether your making money or not if you don't have permission it's a breach of copy right law. Whether or not the original artist (or representatives) will be bothered to take action against you is another story, but they do have the right to. Giving th track away fro free isn't protection against copy right law. If the record is popular and helps promote you and your other work, somebody will want to be compenasted for it.

You can get away with it, but there is a risk for sampling music without permission, theonly way's to be sure to avoid legal crap it is to process the sample until it's impossible to recognise or have it anonymously pressed on white label vinyl.

Some info here

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/articles/sampleclearance_0308.htm

Regardless of whether your making money or not if you don't have permission it's a breach of copy right law. Whether or not the original artist (or representatives) will be bothered to take action against you is another story, but they do have the right to. Giving th track away fro free isn't protection against copy right law. If the record is popular and helps promote you and your other work, somebody will want to be compenasted for it.

You can get away with it, but there is a risk for sampling music without permission, theonly way's to be sure to avoid legal crap it is to process the sample until it's impossible to recognise or have it anonymously pressed on white label vinyl.

Some info here

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/articles/sampleclearance_0308.htm

You forgot to mention the most righteous way: clearing the sample before using it.

No offence, but that's a weird obsession with bootlegs, if you don't even know what it is. There is no reason to do a bootleg, if you can do it legally. If the labels/artists/whatevs sees reason, you will get trouble, and might have to pay . The only reason people aren't getting trouble for it, is because it goes unnoticed, be it because you only share it with a few friends or on sites like soundcloud. Altering somebody's music is genereally not allowed, unless written in the licence. Some music is under a "free" licence or whatever it is called, might be worth checking out - but then it's not really a bootleg. I can't remember which site, but there was one with a lot of that kind of music. Freesound.org also has a few, I think. Or, as mentioned, you can clear the samples by asking for permission.

No offence, but that's a weird obsession with bootlegs, if you don't even know what it is. There is no reason to do a bootleg, if you can do it legally. If the labels/artists/whatevs sees reason, you will get trouble, and might have to pay . The only reason people aren't getting trouble for it, is because it goes unnoticed, be it because you only share it with a few friends or on sites like soundcloud. Altering somebody's music is genereally not allowed, unless written in the licence. Some music is under a "free" licence or whatever it is called, might be worth checking out - but then it's not really a bootleg. I can't remember which site, but there was one with a lot of that kind of music. Freesound.org also has a few, I think. Or, as mentioned, you can clear the samples by asking for permission.

Its not an obsession...I just wanted to experiment with doing a bootleg of a tune i really like and its sounding good.Thanks everyone for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom