BOOMIN BASSLINES

right, i'm wanting to get that old skool type bassline rolling. i'm using fruityloops on its own, and i've only got the demos of the synths thst come with it and i've only got the samples already on board fruityloops.

i just wondered which was the best way to go about it? if you could give me any tips it would be great! cheers.

logikz said:
mate! you need to clarify a bit further just what exactly it is you want to know. boomin like how?

i like the bass that goes boom!

oldskool bassline... could mean a lot of things but the first thing that comes to mind is just a sub. you can manage nice subs with the 404. i even think theres a preset? you know how to make a sub right. Do a pitch slide too and youve got a dropbass. And compress with some threshold (for that percussive attack) + bass maximixze it to fuck. Thats a little oldskool innit.

Sample an 808 kick
sample the one off "terrorist" by ray keith
use a sine wave (any synth has one for an oscillator)
that's most of the oldskool basses down to a T

I think the problem with people trying to make oldskool is they try too hard. It's really easy to do.
Oldskool is all about "that" sound. To get the sound you nick it like the original producers did. They used sampled breaks and hooks, then the synths can be used for shit like pure sine waves and strings and floaty synths and FX.
Also don't fall into the trap of cutting your beats into tiny bits, you'll lose the flow. Listen to old tunes, do you hear perfect beats? no! so think simple. check Krust's "set speed" it's pretty much a break looped with an 808 kick playing a little tune. Must have taken about an hour to write but it's still dope.
If you try too hard and piss about too much you'll fuck up the sound.

there's a site called synthzone where you can get an 808 drum kit, you just needs the kicks.
DOA sample swap has a lot of breaks for you to use, and search the link section at www.dnbproduction.com
It's all about samples, you won't get anywhere near an oldskool sound with the free samples you get with FL apart from getting a sub bass.

logikz said:
Jarman666 said:
you need something like logic or cubase,to get the boom,you need good compression and eq.
btw are you signed to renegade hardware?

yeah he is! local rude bwoi jarman / raiden makin it larrrge :D respek!

Back
Top Bottom