Book about Music Production (2010/2011?) please give me some advice!

Nucleoid

Nucleoid Drum & Bass
Hi,

I'm searching for a book about music production, possibly drum and bass music. I want this book to hold information about the following aspects of producing a song:
-Recording
-Editing/producing
-Mixing
-Mastering

The reason that I am searching for such a book is to gather information for a paper I am going to write about music production.
This will be between 20 and 50 pages, so I need a lot of research. Therefore I'd like some book in which there's very detailed information about the aspects mentioned above.
Also I want it to be a little innovative, rather than a reflection on the past, so I hope someone can reccomend me a book dating from around 2010/2011.

If the book is compatible with a DAW, it would be greatest if it supported Reason 5.0, but this is definitely not nessecary.

Please share your thoughts on various books...
I've seen the names "Art of Editing" and "Behind the glass wall" comeby, but I didn't feel this would help me enough.

Thanks for the help,

Q

Sorry mate, I'm a bit confused :lol: You want some info on Music Production because you are writing a book? Or you are looking for a book on Music Production?

I am pretty sure I saw a book on Amazon once focusing on Cubase 5. I couldn't give you any more info though I'm afraid, I didn't really look at it in detail :lol:

I am searching for a book about music production, 'cause I have to research it.
Then I will write a paper, to graduate my highschool, about music production.. it's mandatory and I chose this as my subject.

Ohhh, so you just want some books about Music Production to get a little bit of direction!

Here is a search I did on Amazon. There may be something to your liking :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=Music+Production

Miszt posted a topic about a book on Mixing in a small studio so that may have some info for you. Rather than go to one book for all your info I say maybe get your hands on a few that appeal to you :) Ir perhaps you search around online you will find a load of tutorials on the different parts of production you wanted too. Basically gather information from a range of sources then choose the bits you feel are most vital.

Hope that gave you a bit of help! Sorry if it didn't :lol:

The Dance Music Manual.

Go's in depth & still talks lightly and simply about all those things you've requested(and more) except I don't think in provides too much on recording.

Top quality information though. I've referenced & learnt from it many times & would recommend it.

Doesn't talk to much about reason although I think it is in there. It uses a few DAW's but I'm sure you can translate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Music...=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325549366&sr=1-5

hope this helps.

If your looking for something not so genre specific then i'd head over to the gearslutz forum if i was you. I'm sure they can recommend something.

Last edited:
Sound On Sound (google it) is probly the most comprehensive collection of articals on sound available any where

doesnt your school have a reading list for the course? that would probly be the best place to start, its a huge subject, I dont think you will find an in-depth guide to every aspect in one book

The one I've suggested goes fairly deep apart from recording I'm fairly sure.

I agree, sound on sound. Very very good.

Thanks for all the positive replies!

I don't know how to explain, rather than saying there is no subject I'm doing this for.
What I mean to say is: in Holland to graduate you have to pick one subject that your interested in, research it and then write some kind of paper. Therefore there is no booklist I could choose from, hence I'm asking here.

I will definitely check out the suggested books, but I kind of hate dance music ;) ill try and find out I'd there is something useful for me in there anyway.

If someone knows any book specialized in drum and bass music it is very welcome of course!!

I definitely have to give a supporting shout to elmaruk and mizst's suggestions, both have been extremely useful to me in the past.

Also, I would check out "Modern Recording Techniques", I had to get it for a class I had last semester and it's teeming with useful information on a number of subjects. It's kind of become a handbook for me and stays right next to my desk. Here's a link to amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Recording-Techniques-Seventh-David/dp/0240810694.

And I don't know how useful it is but there is also a book written by Francis Preve (big in the house scene/remixing/sound design) called The Remixer's Bible.

I kind of hate dance music ;)

Drum & Bass is dance music buddy :P

I think you'll be hard pushed to find a book dedicated to making drum & bass & depending on what kinda d&b your making i think you'll find house production is very similar to drum & bass production.

I don't know how to explain, rather than saying there is no subject I'm doing this for.
What I mean to say is: in Holland to graduate you have to pick one subject that your interested in, research it and then write some kind of paper. Therefore there is no booklist I could choose from, hence I'm asking here.

Ahhh, I fully understand now. I will get the oppurtunity to do this soon ish alongside my A Levels. We can choose any subject be it food or music or cows or whatever :lol: Then we write an essay on it that lasts several thousand words, this way we get a few more UCAS Points which enables us more oppurtunity at University :)

I was thinking of doing music myself but maybe narrowing it down to a genre or something. I might actually do Music Production now! I am also thinking of actually doing a Music Production course at Uni...

Enough about me anyways :lol: As for finding a book specifically about Drum & Bass production I think you may find that a challenge as elmaruk said! However, as I have and others have mentioned there are thousands of articles, tutorials, videos, etc plastered all over the internet. Then of course the basic concept of mixing and mastering is pretty similar for most dance music so there will be something out there you can use :)

Last edited:
Also, I would check out "Modern Recording Techniques", I had to get it for a class I had last semester and it's teeming with useful information on a number of subjects. It's kind of become a handbook for me and stays right next to my desk. Here's a link to amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Recording-Techniques-Seventh-David/dp/0240810694.

And I don't know how useful it is but there is also a book written by Francis Preve (big in the house scene/remixing/sound design) called The Remixer's Bible.

both excellent books, esp Modern Recording Techniques

Drum & Bass is dance music buddy :P

I think you'll be hard pushed to find a book dedicated to making drum & bass & depending on what kinda d&b your making i think you'll find house production is very similar to drum & bass production.

No man.. why do you think it's called Dance and the other is called Drum and Bass? I understand what your getting at tho; the production goes somewhat the same, my only reason that I'd read that book.

But bitch please! Dance music is definitely NOT drum and bass :p I can't listen for more than half an hour to that boring stuff they call dance music.. damn..

@topic
So apparently it seems there's not going to be any book about drum and bass music alone. I guess I'll try the two books mentioned above. I should be able to learn something from it at least.

If there are more suggestions, they are still welcome of course! A variety of sources is always best when researching something :)

drum and bass is dance music....the sub-genre 'Dance' is probly what you are refering to, but most people who listen to electronic music ignore the sub-genre 'Dance', its used mainly by companies who sell generic house music on mass-market basis, its fake genre imo

Dude I really hate to shit on your parade but drum and bass is definately classed as electronic dance music, as is dubstep / house / trance / techno / fidget / breakbeat / garage / blah blah blah the list goes on. If it is made electronically (ie on a cpu somewhere) and gets played out in clubs, then it is most definately dance music

I have to go with miszt.
When I hear "dance" music, and when people where I live talk about "dance" music, they refer to house/dirty house/mainstream-shit/trance. And I hate that shit, so that's why I'd rather not compare dnb to that.
Whatever you mean that all electronic music is part of dance music, that's a way of saying it, but definitely not what I meant.

But I uhm.. haven't really made this thread to discuss your opinions about dance music as a whole or about the distinction between dance and dnb. Therefore I kindly request anyone not to refer back to the last few posts, and rather come with some new book I might be interested in. If not I guess it's best to close this thread as any further discussion had better be done elsewhere.
Thank you sincerely..

Honestly bro. Drum & Bass comes under dance music/electronic dance music.

Dance music is just the tree and the branches are all the sub genres that come off it. D&B, Dubstep, House, Hip Hop, Trance. All genres which some would go to a club and "Dance" to.

In that book I referenced for you, The Dance Music Manual, has a section which talks about individual genres from drum & Bass to house and hip hop to trip hop.

Last edited:
I suggest picking a less broad subject that has definite facts and not a million different ways of doing the same things.

but really, look no further than soundonsound, it has ENDLESS articles on EVERYTHING.

Thanks for all your support :)

I ordered The Dance Manual and Modern Recording Techniques.
I'll try to find copies of some Sound On Sound magazine as well.

This thread can be closed now. Thanks again to all who helped me out!

Back
Top Bottom