Bongo/ Percussion breaks

Chop breaks, some programs slice then automaticly, all you need to do is play midi notes and arrange them. Some samplepacks have very nice percussion loops too that you can use. Sometimes I even cut rolls or any samples that have bongos/other percussions I like. Try them with your drums and arrange, it isn't that hard, just try what works in the tune. Trial and error, best but most time consuming method.

Yeah man I've used a lot of percussions loops they're great!

& will have to try chopping up and taking the bongos out.

Anybody else got any tips?

Cut Loop > Process > Sampler> Sequence [Velocity / Time adjustments]

/\ This. To add, don't be afraid to make some of those hits a bit off beat, it will really enhance/humanize the groove.

Also, you can try taking a loop, slicing it up and assigning each hit to it's own mono channel. Then use some light panning (making sure not to duplicate the pan setting from one channel to the next) on each hit to "spread" the kit out a bit.

Finally, make sure to EQ out any offending frequencies that are clashing with you main hits (Kick, Snare, etc.).

Cheers.

/\ This. To add, don't be afraid to make some of those hits a bit off beat, it will really enhance/humanize the groove.

Also, you can try taking a loop, slicing it up and assigning each hit to it's own mono channel. Then use some light panning (making sure not to duplicate the pan setting from one channel to the next) on each hit to "spread" the kit out a bit.

Finally, make sure to EQ out any offending frequencies that are clashing with you main hits (Kick, Snare, etc.).

Cheers.

Yeah, but if you use the method I posted above, you could pan the hits in the sampler so there wouldn't be a need for multiple tracks. :)

Yeah, but if you use the method I posted above, you could pan the hits in the sampler so there wouldn't be a need for multiple tracks. :)

Wouldn't you have to use a multi-output sampler in order to adjust each hit on an individual level? If you have a sampler that contains only one output, how would you control each individual hit's attributes (EQ, pitch, pan, etc.) rather than applying it to the lot?

Wouldn't you have to use a multi-output sampler in order to adjust each hit on an individual level?

No, for example, in the edit window of Logic's EXS24 (Stereo), you can load multiple samples and have full control their respective volume, panning and even fade in/out times.

If you have a sampler that contains only one output, how would you control each individual hit's attributes (EQ, pitch, pan, etc.) rather than applying it to the lot?

I pretty much answered this above, but for EQing (processing) I did mention to use this chain.

Last edited:
No, for example, in the edit window of Logic's EXS24 (Stereo), you can load multiple samples and have full control their respective volume, panning and even fade in/out times.

I pretty much answered this above, but for EQing (processing) I did mention to use this chain.

Apologies man, I totally see what you're saying now!

Basically, you make the changes to each sample within the edit window/table of the EXS24 to adjust their attributes...pretty sneaky...and quite genius actually. :)

+1. I don't know how in the the hell I've managed to never notice the column that is clearly labeled volume/pan...

Apologies man, I totally see what you're saying now!

Basically, you make the changes to each sample within the edit window/table of the EXS24 to adjust their attributes...pretty sneaky...and quite genius actually. :)

+1. I don't know how in the the hell I've managed to never notice the column that is clearly labeled volume/pan...

:) all good bro.

Here is a massive tip for improving your percussion. .. did you ever think of learning to play drums? Honestly, its nit hard. There are tins of teach yourself videos. The basics are actually pretty easy and you'll end up with solid ideas fir beats and fills and a proper way to think about patterns and rhythms rather than aimlessly farting around chopping loops hoping you hit gold. The hard part with drumming is being consistant and groovy at speed, which isn't so important if you are recording MIDI at slow speeds, or editing the shit out of your material. I've been learning drumming for a few years now and its getting much easier to improvise breaks and fills, and I know how to make a beat sound samba, or African djembe.or Indian tabla after studying some basics. Its totally worth the time to understand drumming if you are serious about your game. And if not, well you can always sample the hell out of all the beats in that teach yourself bongos video.

little tip grab a pencil play your drum loop tap along with the pencil on your desk and you will find your rhythm . Then pick a low mid and high say bongo and arrange them in your rhythm how you tapped on your desk. Think of the low bongo as a kick mid as your fill and high as your snare. Similar theory with hats and all things perc related. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom