Drum & Bass Boiling Ether Ambient

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Psychoholic, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Hi guys,
    I hereby present my new shit, a bit ambient and relaxing.
    Feedback as always is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your considerate replies ;)

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Very chilled vibe my friend. Not a fan of that snare really. And the hats would benefit from being spread a little, and some subtle delay added to them to give them a more natural groove.

3. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Thanks Fletch, I love that you say that about the snares, I've heard that from Logikz as well and you too confirm it, I'm already working on it :) .

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Just needs a little high end snap layered over the top,

5. lasiien

lasiien Meh

Hey Psy :) With the running water at the start i was wondering if this was going to be your entry to the dnbforum competition just passed ;) but no!... The track builds very steadily and probably takes a bit too long imo, I think where it kicks in at 2.26 is really nice and should probably be a bit longer and come along a bit earlier. I do realise you're building up to it and going for a real ambient feel but still think it could be accomplished in a bit less time, plus also I think doing a couple of variations there once it gets little going is perfectly possible and would give a bit more flavour. I really like some of the high end sounds you've got going on, interesting :D

6. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

For a tune like this, ambient oriented, I will preferre to go with claps, rimshots and snaps rather than classic snare sound. Even using reverbs on them.

The drum sounds bit too high on volume or not organically glued with the background textures.
    Those hats/shakers are far too loud, you can try to lower them and give them a bit more ghosty carachter.
    Missing a ride cymbal? A well balanced and natural ride, will definetely help the drum to settle more on groove.

I think the idea is sweet, and as the track wants to be a sort of experiment, I'll say that the arrangement too is ok.

Just need the fine tuning to make it more organic.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

good work so far. as others have said, the snare needs a bit of work. id also say vary the beat a little bit. its quite samey throughout. theres a deffinate chill vibe about it tho!

8. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Thanks guys great constructive feedback ! I'm working on it and I'll update the track when I implemented all your feedback.
    Cheers !

9. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

I agree with both that the snare isnt really doing the thing it should be doing here and that its too much structure. Atleast in the intro i'd say some funkier rythms on the synths there. Tho I like how it forms up to actually a really nice liquid piece eventually! That sample of water pouring really does it's thing aswell. Perhaps some more movement in the bass part also, the upper regions of it atleast. Besides from all mentioned I quite enjoyed it. Keep em comming mate! :)