Blu Mar Ten Reddit Q&A - Wednesday 20th @ 19:30

[–]gamcdonald 4 points 9 days ago
Bit of a personal one here, but you said ask anything! Do you guys have jobs on the side?
Is the label/gigs enough for you to get by on?
Please ignore if you don't want to answer.

[–]BluMarTenMusic 33 points 9 days ago
That's ok! Yes we all have day jobs as well so the music and label work gets done at night and the gigs at weekends (obviously). Not so much time to sleep, that's for sure. We possibly could survive from music if we really wanted to, but that's not an avenue any of us really want to go down. It's a path that's littered with compromise and shit synthesizer riffs.

[–]drag0nf1r 9 points 9 days ago
I have serious respect for you now.

[–]necron99er 6 points 9 days ago
That's sad to hear. You've really stepped up your game, and are releasing some really quality music. As someone who stepped away from dnb in order to work in game audio( its cool, I'm back), I was hoping that people like you, as artists/djs/and label owners, could make enough to be able to focus exclusively on DNB, without having to resort to cheese pop dnb.
Is it disheartening to know that you have made it in the dnb world, yet still need a dayjob. How long do you think you can continue to work a dayjob and keep up with production, gigs, label matters , and little sleep.

[–]BluMarTenMusic 3 points 9 days ago
I don't know. I think that's the question almost everyone in music is asking themselves right now. Times are tough and they're going to get tougher. Expect to see a lot of people just give up over the next couple of years.

Wow, that's depressing. I thought artists as established as BMT could make a living from it, obviously didn't expect they'd say they were rich beyond belief but still....

p.s. the reddit is a good read, lots of production stuff in there

Wow, that's depressing. I thought artists as established as BMT could make a living from it, obviously didn't expect they'd say they were rich beyond belief but still....

It's a shame honestly :/, I just don't think DnB (the non commercial stuff at least.) is big enough to actually make a living out off unless you're constantly dj'ing.
And even then I can imagine it's not the best paying job out there.

hate to break it to you dude, but most electronic musicians have day jobs, unless you get really big, but there is also no certainty you'll stay big so it's best to have something to fall back on.

it's not a bad thing to devote yourself to music, but it's not a clever thing to put all your eggs in one basket.

hate to break it to you dude, but most electronic musicians have day jobs, unless you get really big, but there is also no certainty you'll stay big so it's best to have something to fall back on.

it's not a bad thing to devote yourself to music, but it's not a clever thing to put all your eggs in one basket.

Don't get me wrong, wasn't thinking about myself as this a hobby for me and I think gigging etc. is a young persons game (well, mostly) - I'm too old I think (lol!). Just I figured some more established artists would actually do okay out of it, they certainly deserve to.

ive given up solo production, i think its time i face that fact. hope to get back some time. mosaic 2 is inspiring me alot but i do seem to have lost the interest. just want to be drunk and hide my ventolin

Back
Top Bottom