Blending tunes with filters Andy C style

boobjunkie

VIP Junglist
Sorry if this thread has been made before i admit i haven't searched for it..

Anyone on here do this/had a go at this?

yh,, turn resonanse to mild

its like using all 4 eqs at once... very easy when you know what your doing

yh,, turn resonanse to mild

its like using all 4 eqs at once... very easy when you know what your doing

i'm confused about exactly what he's doing, would i be right in saying he's got one set to hi pass and the other to lo? but if you twist em both opposite ways you'll either have both filters off or just the low end of one track an the high end of the other :confused:

will be forever grateful if you can explain to me exactly how he does it :D

i'm confused about exactly what he's doing, would i be right in saying he's got one set to hi pass and the other to lo? but if you twist em both opposite ways you'll either have both filters off or just the low end of one track an the high end of the other :confused:

will be forever grateful if you can explain to me exactly how he does it :D

OK...

You will have the filter setting on high pass.... but with the resonanse on low (mild) so when you use the filter it wont go "KSSSSWWWWWosssh" that happens when the resonanse is high (wild)

lets say you have a track on left left.... The filter will be fully off (knob turned all the way anti clockwise) the tune will be playing with full volume with no EQ kill at all.

as you bring a tune on the right deck,, the filter will be fully on killing most the volume (Knob turned fully clockwise)

The more you turn the filter anti clockwise... the more the frequencys come back thru, giving you more volume.

when the filters are around 12/1 oclock,, you will hear the mids trebles but still you wont have any low EQ ..(Bass).. as u bring it further anti clockwise you will start to hear the low eqs.

Thats how he works the blends... its like turning all 4 knobs in one go,, and u can go 2 and from the tunes very quickly

So from filter off one deck... to like 1/4 pm clockwise next deck,, depending on the tracks

OK...

You will have the filter setting on high pass.... but with the resonanse on low (mild) so when you use the filter it wont go "KSSSSWWWWWosssh" that happens when the resonanse is high (wild)

lets say you have a track on left left.... The filter will be fully off (knob turned all the way anti clockwise) the tune will be playing with full volume with no EQ kill at all.

as you bring a tune on the right deck,, the filter will be fully on killing most the volume (Knob turned fully clockwise)

The more you turn the filter anti clockwise... the more the frequencys come back thru, giving you more volume.

when the filters are around 12/1 oclock,, you will hear the mids trebles but still you wont have any low EQ ..(Bass).. as u bring it further anti clockwise you will start to hear the low eqs.

Thats how he works the blends... its like turning all 4 knobs in one go,, and u can go 2 and from the tunes very quickly

So from filter off one deck... to like 1/4 pm clockwise next deck,, depending on the tracks

very well explained sir...

ive only had an allen n heath a little while and ive started doing this alot... its a wikid way to switch up basslines n woteva. yer ur right gotta have the ressonance on mild as the frequencies are increased in db just before the cut off point of the filter n usually when uve got two tunes at once u dont wanna be increasing any of the lower/ lower high frequencies in the tune ur usuing with out bass.

sometimes its better to use the eq tho... but this is a very usueful method...

^^ Thats it in a nut shell.

Anyone found a good way with the DJM600? as the filter is done by beats and time, you don't sorta get the control as with a rotary knob :(

Yeh i thought just as well, I'll work something until I can get the daddy 92, in bout a million years

Andy still uses The 4 band EQ as well as the VCF's to roll off some of the filtered frequencies in the mix and to make certain elements of a tune sit In the back of the mix better

yup, all about using the filters to switch the bass, and the rest of the eqs to sort out the track accordingly.
been playing around with it a lot latel,y and only just getting comfortable with it all. they're so fucking handy to have though, really nice for chucking in a quick tease without having to worry too much about sorting out the eqing sometimes.
makes for really nice blends as well when you're longing something out.

pretty much as noize explained, but don't go shy on th eqs.

Yeah i can't fault this method at all, except to use the HPF+BPF at the same time instead of just HPF. After messing around extensively ive found you still need to roll of the treble as you would normally, and i use the MID1 to help with this, MID2 doesn need to be adjusted so much as it taken out with the VCF.

Overal makes blends sound so clean and and so much easier, WIN (y) Happy Days!

Back
Top Bottom