blending, mixing, EQing

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by malbowski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. malbowski

malbowski Malbowski

last time i used this site was when i was having trouble beat matching. that is no longer a problem but i still cant mix. I suppose im having trouble with timing and the EQ levels on my mixer. Even though the tunes are synced, I cant get the tunes to blend into each other very well and hence why the mix doesn't flow. Any tips or advice on this would be appreciated.

cheers

2. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    listening to other DJs mixes is a start.. with the timing there's loads of different places you could drop a tune.. i tend to time them so that they both 'drop' at the same time.. its all about knowing your tunes knowing how long your intros and breakdowns are.. and with the EQing.. when in the mix i tend to cut the bass out of one of the tracks for a cleaner mix.. and switch between basslines or whatever.. this is personal preference anyway just how i tend to mix.. hope this helps some

3. bluenote

bluenote Member

you should really just be able to 'feel' when you want to bring in a tune... depends what you are mixing, but i tend to go for progressive blends with subtle tweaks to the highs and snares at points where you can control the rhythm of the track. dance music is all about grooves, and if you can learn how to manipulate them, and create them through meshing tunes, then you are on the right track...

if youre mixes arent sounding right, try to mix tunes that harmonise with one another. check the key the tune is in, if you have an ear for tones you should be able too, otherwise i think there are websites that will help, or at least heard you can source your tracks key from somewhere.

if you've got the beatmatching down and its tight, then dont worry as the more and more you listen to tunes and mix, then the better you will become.

good luck dood, there are loads of websites (not 100% on names, but dj-tutorial.com or some shit) that will give you good advice on eqing and blending...

keep at it, you will be rockin soon.

4. djmotiondnb

this can be found at chemicalrecords.co.uk or there is a program called mixed in key =)

5. malbowski

malbowski Malbowski

cool. all i listen to atm is mixes but im struggling with how to blend the tunes nicely by using more than the fader. Lately, i've been turning the bass right down on the record im bringing in and waiting for a quiet part of the main tune before swapping the bass levels between the two tunes. thats the only way ive been able to do it smoothly, I think I need to work on subtley blending the tunes as they go to produce a rolling mix. suppose its a case of practice but any pointers would be great. im totally improvising and just having an educated guess as to how to use the EQ on my mixer. cheers

6. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Just play a mix tape, much easier

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^^ Always has to be one haha..

After reading your last post it kinda seems like you need to just learn the structure of your tunes and listen to a lot of different mix tapes and try and figure out whats going on. Even better is go to some gigs and watch some DJs, that's the best way to learn imo. I picked up shit loads from watching other people. If you're having to wait for the main tune to go quiet before you switch the bass then I think you're missing structure, cos all tunes have an intro, main body, then break, then another main body, which can be layered onto of other tunes to make a mix.

I've got the perfect picture in my head but its just too hard to type lol. Sorry dude

8. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

9. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

Try mixing in just your headphones sometimes. Makes you really rely on the EQ's to keep things from clashing and being overwhelming.

10. djmotiondnb

11. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^^ Ah yes but nicely plugged with a detailed answer to the thread poster... ;)

12. djmotiondnb

haha :)

13. dooban

dooban New Member

Try copying mixes that you hear on mixtapes and see if you can get em sounding the same... obviously you gotta get the same tunes first. But remember this is only for practice! No one likes a biter. Make sure its a live mix too and not one edited on a computer

14. lewza

lewza Member

When I change the EQ's on the tune im bringing in to the mix, I cant hear any difference in my headphones so im relying on when its coming through the speakers.

DJing is definitely one of them practice makes perfect things. Sometimes I think F*** it and wanna sell my set up but im more determined than ever to better myself.

15. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

Really? Possibly a function on your mixer?