Blame - Because Of You; Volume Problem

dbjungle

DJ Syklone
Anyone have this track on MP3? I have the 320 and I love the song, but I find that it's incredibly low. I recorded recently and my gain on the tracks before and after were like 50%, but I had to play this track at about 95%.

If you have an MP3 without this volume problem, please let me know which MP3 store you got it from! The flip is just as low too. Anyone own the vinyl? How is the volume on it? Thanks peeps!

I have the vinyl and there are no problems volume wise with it. Since it is only this track you have the issue with it may be worth running it through audacity, cool edit or something similar and normalizing it. Just make sure you normalise rather than compress it and should still sound the same just alot louder.

That's a good idea. I think I'll check for the mp3 in another store first. I don't remember which store I bought from, but the volume is a BIG issue. Glad to know the volume is fine and it's not just the song.

Irritates me when I buy a 320 mp3 from somewhere and the track sounds low or of poor quality, Breakbeat have provided me with the most mp3s of this type, obviously if the
wav sounds crap or poor comprasion then the mp3 will be affected. Recently the majority a tracks of the new Bachelors of Science album are low and others are fine which were from Beatport, not all mp3s will be at same level and easily normalised but bloody annoying to do so :p

Irritates me when I buy a 320 mp3 from somewhere and the track sounds low or of poor quality, Breakbeat have provided me with the most mp3s of this type, obviously if the
wav sounds crap or poor comprasion then the mp3 will be affected. Recently the majority a tracks of the new Bachelors of Science album are low and others are fine which were from Beatport, not all mp3s will be at same level and easily normalised but bloody annoying to do so :p

I just recently bought CDJ's and a lot of my songs' volume's are all over the place. Was just wondering what I have to do in Audacity to "normalize them". Do I just turn up the gain and if so what should I be looking for.

I'm the noobest of noobs when it comes to this sorta stuff so some pointers would be greatly appreciated mate.

I just recently bought CDJ's and a lot of my songs' volume's are all over the place. Was just wondering what I have to do in Audacity to "normalize them". Do I just turn up the gain and if so what should I be looking for.

I'm the noobest of noobs when it comes to this sorta stuff so some pointers would be greatly appreciated mate.

Ive never actually looked into normlizing using a program, I just meant its easy to normalize using the Gain on a mixer, but then you have to remember how much to increase its gain for a particular song.

But as for using a program to permanently normalize, im sure its pretty simple and I shall have a little look into it now!

Last edited:
In audacity normalizing is a simple case of clicking normalize under the effects section, you can take the tracks volume all the way up to 0.0db, in cool edit pro it is slightly simpler as it gives you a percentage of how much to normalize by... 100% being the tracks current volume so you need to take it some past that.

I have heard of and seen a few bits of software that claim to be able to batch normalize mp3 files so they will "apparantly" match the volume levels of your entire mp3 collection at the touch of a button. I would be slightly scared of this and would only consider testing it on a backup of my collection first as you never what it could do to your files.

If any one out there has used a batch normalizer i would love to hear how it went and wether it's worth doing

Another really easy way to make sure all your tracks are the right volume is to use a reference. For this you will need an MP3 of a tune that volume is already perfect. Add this tune to audacity, then add the problem mp3 to a new track, now when you hit play there will be a lot of horrible out of time noise, but all you need to do is adjust the problem mp3 volume fader so that the levels on both tracks are equal. this way all of ur tracks will end up the same volume no problems :)

I hate it when tracks that I get on vinyl are quiet. Why dont they press them at the same volume ffs!!!?!?!?!?

use mp3gain. standalone app

"MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does some statistical analysis to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear.
Also, the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless. There is no quality lost in the change because the program adjusts the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding."

I had to do a lot on my MP3 to get the volume to be ok. Mainly normalize with Audition, but it's not perfect. Sounds better though and will give me peace of mind during a mix.

I bought a low (volume) release that I liked, but was worried about the sound after. It was too low and had some other probs. It was another producer I really like too. NW2 - Dread Rukkus; this MP3 actually skips. Lovely tune though, but don' think I'll ever mix it.

Bit off topic but the worst vinyl ive bought recently with regard to volume, and keep in mind ive been dj-in since '94 was "The Nextmen Feat. Ms. Dynamite - Lions Den (Sigma Rmx)".

They've squeezed two tracks on one side of a vinyl so the volume is low as fuck. :shrug:

Fuckin disgustin' in my opinion. I've never used this vinyl since the day i bought it a few months ago.

Felt like sending it back & i couldn't give a shit if i didn't get a refund..........

Ahhhhh.... i feel better now..... :fag:

With regard to u guys buyin MP3's etc and having low volume is a fuckin' piss take......I would be askin for my money back......

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to think of it. I mean, it's one thing to support the producers I like, but it's another thing to be left with a track I can't use either. Like DJ Origin for example, Dread Rukkus and Sky are sick tracks. Actually I think I got all his MP3 releases. Wish I could get the hook up on a couple proper 320s. In all fairness these tracks are a few years old. But what the hell, I love em.

Depends on who has mastered the track I guess. All engineers have different methods/techniques

I bought Dc breaks remix of Birds of Prey recently, and im not even joking, its sooooo quiet. The gain needs to be up so much higher than on the other track it a joke. and whats more is that it will just distort. So lets say if I really wanted to mix it, I would have to first play with the master gain, then turn one track down, then the other one up high.
I paid the same price as any other vinyl so It should be at the same quality/volume. The guy who mastered this, really should find another job
Surely they should make an Industry benchmark, so that issues like this dont occour

Iv got an MP3 version of this tune, I got it from beatport and its a lot softer than usual too. Another good program for "normalizing" or getting all your levels the same is Platinum notes by the makers of mixed in key but you gotta fork out a hundred bucks..

Back
Top Bottom