bladerunner/serum bass - any rough ideas to get started with

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
looking for as rough a guide as u can maybe guess or give? on the bass in back to the jungle that sort of rolling bass, iv tried various osc combinations cant get anywhere near!

http://soundcloud.com/user5285078/pleading-for-mercy-ft-sugar

thats one my new beats. didnt check your link but i guess this is what your on about?

make a sub, rather than keeping your bass in mono so you dont get any clash, put it in poly.
then play b and c together (you will have to find the correct octave) this "should" make the bass resonate, in sync (if thats how you say it)
i did that rather than using an lfo, i had just the same trouble as you did.
and if you want the pitch of your bass to fall, put an envelope on your pitch (the oscillator that your sub is on, obviously) and have a play with the attack/decay untill your sound is right.

as i said i didnt listen to your link so this might all be useless but nevertheless it is still good to know

hope this helps.

Institute.

I'd say he's after this one...

That bass was on so many tunes at the time I still get emotional hearing it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry dude! That would've been such a long thread if we'd gone back to 94/5...

Great bass line though. I'm assuming it's a reese?

I could be wrong but the one in back to the jungle sounds like a standard reece bass, probably sampled from terrorist or something like that. For that sort of sound in a synth it'd probably just be two detuned saw oscillators with nearly all the tops filtered out, then maybe just a little distortion.

Most of my basslines are made with a sample as the starting point. I very rarely use a synth at all. I use PSP Mixsaturator a lot for desk style distortion quite a lot but most of it is just based around old jungle bass sounds and messing with those in the sampler. I do it all on a PC but try to use techniques that are like what people used back in the day, which is pretty basic.

Bladerunner has quite a lot of hardware but does a lot on the computer as well.

@Kama you owe me a kidney

Don't know If this has been mentioned already but watch this:

He basically shows you how to make the reece in renegade terrorist on massive, really good video!

Page 2...

While we're at it does anyone know how this one's made? For some reason it's fallen off the radar recently as people seem reluctant to use it. Frankly I miss it's warmth and charm!

Page 2...

While we're at it does anyone know how this one's made? For some reason it's fallen off the radar recently as people seem reluctant to use it. Frankly I miss it's warmth and charm!

I've made a few similar sounds using the following methods:

- Layering the terrorist bass with an 808 kick and messing with saturation and EQ on both of them (this sounds like the most likely as you can hear the 808 finishing later than the mid range bass sound)

- Using a bass enhancer plugin like waves maxbass or pxp mixbass to add a top layer to an 808

(You can always go oldshool and just nick the clean sample from the end of that tune!)

You've got to think of the gear they had back then which was pretty basic, such as a simple sampler, desk eq and distortion and usually things like Behringer rack FX such as reverb, compressors and enhancers and stuff like that and try to make a plugin chain that emulates what they might have used.

A lot of the sounds are simple when you know how and can be made using methods that seem pretty slapdash compared to today's tunes.

I think that Subfocus video really shows how clinical things have got where he's worried about a little bit of variation in the volume. Of course that doesn't help when your tunes are as clinical as his are, but if you want to make it sound raw you've got to throw all that out the window.

Back
Top Bottom