Bladerunner Interview for KMag - 16/02/2011

$pyto

Pavey Farms
VIP Junglist
Short & sweet...

Please introduce yourself...
I'm Devan Gray, AKA Bladerunner, originally from Leighton Buzzard now based in Norwich. I've been producing drum & bass for about ten years and I have had releases on labels such as Dread Recordings, Creative Source, Formation Records, 36 Hertz and Critical.

Why have you set up True Bass?
It seemed like the next logical step for me to take. The success of my recent releases has been really encouraging and I feel it's the right time to start my own label. I just want to get more of my music out to the people.

Who is involved with running it?
DJ Vapour from 36 Hertz and the guys at Keynote are helping me with the business side of things, which is great as I can concentrate on making the music.

What's the ethos behind the label?
It's really just to get good music out there that will hopefully stand the test of time when played in the future, and to push the boundaries of this new jungle era.

Is it a digital label or will you release vinyl too?
It will be mainly focused on vinyl because I think it's important to keep the format alive, then a few weeks after there will be the digital release.

Can you tell us more about your key artists?
Initially the label will be focused on my own music, followed by collaborations with Serum, Vapour, Mr Explicit and Savage Rehab.

Are you looking for more artists and if so where should producers send demos?
Right now I am concentrating on releasing my own music but in the future I would like to release music from up-and-coming artists to help the new talent come through. Please send demos to truebassrecordings@gmail.com

Tell us more about your first releases...
The Lone Ranger is a rolling jungle smasher containing all my favourite elements of D&B: dirty basses, a bit of funk, some reggae vocals and lots of laser effects. The AA side is called Take Me Higher, which is more of a musical journey starting with dreamy pads and pianos and building to a nasty, warping bass roller! The release date is March 2011.

Got any other releases in the pipeline you can tell us about?
I have another EP and album forthcoming on Dread soon and a release on V Records with Serum later in the year. There will also be a series of remixes featuring MC Navigator, Horace Andy and Sugar Minott coming on Lion Dub.

http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/news/bladerunner-launches-true-bass#

Back
Top Bottom