Black light

easy mate, quite a tidy little tune... only thing is i felt like i was waiting for it to go off all the way through, maybe thats cos i'm used to jump up where the drop always has a huge imapct rather than rolling in?

kick sounded a little funny to me, can't put my finger on what it was exactly though?

(y)

yeah, see what you mean about the drop.
(Was going for smooth rollin.. not jump up)

not sure what you mean about the kick, but cheers for the listen & feedback!

The drum pattern is a little weird. I think you should space out the 2nd kick.
Ignoring that everything else seems fine, I think the final polish for this would be a little vocal cut if you want :)

do you mean the second break? was going for a dbridge/photek homage..

or do you mean the second kick in the main break sounds slightly early?

Last edited:
1:30 on or so the second kick seems to come in too early, and if that's the effect you want then I'd make it more prominent then in the rhythm of the whole track. Overall, nicely done, but some more buildups and winddowns would be nice, wooshing and you know. Overall, I don't know if you wanted it this way but there aren't many layers to this tune. I might like that rolling bass more in the mix, or with more compression on it, but mainly just a deeper feel to it. Try to boost 20 hz a bit maybe. Overall real nice, it's a stomper.

the kick drum is out of time man.... either that or the bar isnt a bar long lol... good tune besides that mate

cheers rev.
thanks for the good description. more should post like that. ;)

was deliberately going for a stripped down minimal feel. didnt want to get too intricate with this one.. last tune: thinking of you was an intricate nightmare lol!.
sub and bass are already cut @ 30hz (lose the rumble ya know). and there's comp already on the bass bus.

didnt deliberately make the 2nd kick come in early, was going by how it sounded.. was going for different rather than the 'off the shelf' dnb template... zzzzz
points noted tho chaps. obviously didnt quite work as intended.
will check the timing in detail shortly.
really got to move on to the forum comp now..

lucid- if it is, its very slight, and its defo a bar.

Last edited:
no need to apologise Lucid ;)
Just goes to show that doing it differently was missed as people expect perfect rigid structure..
May well go back and alter it so that it conforms..

I do not like the Hat that keeps constantly getting 'this close' to coming out of time = sounds 'trainwrecky'. That 4 beat loop needs to be addressed... if it was intentional... supposed to be some kind of swing thing, then I'm sorry b/c it isn't working for me.

The KD sounds a lil big in my cheap headphones... probably fine though. Everything else sounds great in the Mix.

Track is a nice, chilled out Roller and I like it. I like the extra PERC layer during the middle of the tune... nice loop.

You need to fix that one hat though cuz it sounds really, really sloppy in there the way it is.

:niceworkthough:

will get on it today and fix it.

When you say that '4 beat loop' do you mean the hat loop- or something else?

Thanks for the useful feedback.

will get on it today and fix it.

When you say that '4 beat loop' do you mean the hat loop- or something else?

Thanks for the useful feedback.

Yeah, I was referring to the Hat... I'm listening to your "fixed" version and it sounds the same. Let me ask you something, did you make the Drums from the ground up or are you using a loop?

1:29 - 2:37
4:28 - 5:30

The drums during both of those sections sound weird (as in off). Every four beats, on the one, the one sounds off. It sounds to me like you pulled in a Breakbeat Loop and Warpmarkered it, but didn't get the first downbeat Warped in the right spot. Does that make sense? I say Warp Marker because I'm referring to Ableton Live, not sure what the other DAWs call it. It sounds like the KD on the 1 isn't placed right... as if it's placed just a smidge late from the 1.

hope that helps

I removed a seperate hat layer that was definately slightly out of time.
and a shaker layer that was just too much..

The remaining hat sounds ok to me.. there nothing in the audio to indicate an out of time blip.. :(

I used three different breaks in the song, all derived from complete breaks from drum&bass.be sample packs
The first part of the tune uses two of BattelDrone's breaks layered. both are bang on.
no 'warping' no time stretching or anything...
KD is bang on 1..

the mystery continues...

If you'll reupload it, I'll gladly check it out again. Sorry to be such a pain : )
I know how aggravating it can be to hear from others "what's wrong with your music".

I mean no disrespect, just trying to help if I can.

Back
Top Bottom