bit crunch/'yeah' b-lines

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
how the bloody hell do you make them? I tried adding a vocoder but i was immensly un-successful (couldn't even get the vocoder to make it 'sing') and tried abltons redux filter which is a bit reduction filter, but that almost worked but didint sound good!

an example of what i mean can be found here?

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=76486

admitadly i think that loads of producers have jumped on the bandwagon after heists 'dusty bin' came out, but used well this sound adds a nice little variation to a jump up tune.

peace :not_worth

care to expand on this? whats a vowel filter?

i assumed the reason it was being done a lot was it was a way to make a crappy sound better! :mr_cool:

just search google for vowel filter, i did and loads of stuff came up. but still it takes a good technique.

band pass filtering is basically what your throat does....
if youve got fl look at the tutorial for talking synth.

What synth are you using?
A formant filter can get you close. In z3ta I use a formant and a low pass, both with the cutoff set quite low and modulated. Gives a fairly throaty sound. By chance I got a few vocal type sounds like yeah and thank-you.
I think it's quite easy in massive too, but can't remember for sure.
I found (noob by the way) that adding some distortion enhanced the effect. Haven't really tried bit crushing but everyone talks about that? Also play around with phaser and other fx, but keep your main sound and either bus it to fx or render to audio and put some fx on the duplicate bass track. More subtle this way.

been looking at these 'bit crushers'... seems to be what the redux filter in ableton is? anyone wana clear that up for me?

i totally got this sound figured out yesterday, it literally is a case of downsampling and turning the res up......

i totally got this sound figured out yesterday, it literally is a case of downsampling and turning the res up......

kewl... i'll be having a play with that later! ;)

to be honest though, 90% of the times i have hear it applied were shit, only on a few tracks does it sound rude! it lends itself to 'jumping on the bandwagon'!

pushed this sound last night, managed to make it sound pretty good too! band pass for the win! and for anyone interested,

operator + band pass + lots of res + redux = bit crushed b lines! :D

Finally sussed this ugly ass sound as well. Never liked the sound but wanted to learn to make it.

Anyway, my technique was slightly different

Saw-wave Reese bass + db glitch bitcrushing + distortion + band pass. Obviously you've got a twiddle around with the knobs a lot to get that sound you want but generally this is what worked for me:

o Saw-wave Reese in the sort of low-mid to mid frequencies. Kind of 400hz to 1khz.

o Band pass that. I felt it sounded better closer to 1khz freq, wasn't a fan of the too low sounds. You need to be VERY sensitive here, the smallest mousedrag seemed to drastically effect the sound.

o Throw on distortion on the mixer. Boost the mid gain slightly and go for a distortion sound more sort of mid-high friendly. Don't know how to put it but if you think of like jimi hendrix fuzz vs like metal riffs. Go for the metal riffs, more trebble. Anyway yeah, boost the mid gain slightly for this, maybe even the high gain very very slightly.

o Now you need some bitcrushing effect. I personally used this: http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/. Just set the effect bar to complete crushing, it shuld be 1 continuous crushing, not a myriad of small ones. Just hold in the right-mouse button.

Then it's just a matter of twiddling with the knobs to find the sound you like.

Sorry if It's too much writing or feels condescending, just wanted to let beginners know how to do it. I didn't understand some of the techniques people used so here is the dumbys guide.

Finally sussed this ugly ass sound as well. Never liked the sound but wanted to learn to make it.

Anyway, my technique was slightly different

Saw-wave Reese bass + db glitch bitcrushing + distortion + band pass. Obviously you've got a twiddle around with the knobs a lot to get that sound you want but generally this is what worked for me:

o Saw-wave Reese in the sort of low-mid to mid frequencies. Kind of 400hz to 1khz.

o Band pass that. I felt it sounded better closer to 1khz freq, wasn't a fan of the too low sounds. You need to be VERY sensitive here, the smallest mousedrag seemed to drastically effect the sound.

o Throw on distortion on the mixer. Boost the mid gain slightly and go for a distortion sound more sort of mid-high friendly. Don't know how to put it but if you think of like jimi hendrix fuzz vs like metal riffs. Go for the metal riffs, more trebble. Anyway yeah, boost the mid gain slightly for this, maybe even the high gain very very slightly.

o Now you need some bitcrushing effect. I personally used this: http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/. Just set the effect bar to complete crushing, it shuld be 1 continuous crushing, not a myriad of small ones. Just hold in the right-mouse button.

Then it's just a matter of twiddling with the knobs to find the sound you like.

Sorry if It's too much writing or feels condescending, just wanted to let beginners know how to do it. I didn't understand some of the techniques people used so here is the dumbys guide.

that pretty much is what i did with ableton... except apply ableont synths and crushers where you applied the stuff you mention!

agreed, it is a gay sound, just was curios!

This is how i do it in Nuendo & Massive

bitcrush.jpg

The just adjust the Cut off and also the Sample divider to get the sound I'd like

that pretty much is what i did with ableton... except apply ableont synths and crushers where you applied the stuff you mention!

agreed, it is a gay sound, just was curios!

Glad someone agrees, if this turns scene I quit dnb.

Back
Top Bottom