Birthday Treats :D

I do have a mackie desk, but I plugged the rockits straight into my M audio USB sound card as thought the least connections the better?

After using them tonight for a few hours I'm thinking of changing them for the Yamaha hs80s.. They seem very boxy sounding in my studio, so think I need something different in there.. I know it's a new sound, and will take a while to get used to a different sound, but i'm really not feeling them :/

you tried moving them away from the wall a lil bit?

not to be a hater but i didnt think you had a great setup there acoustics wise, id imagine you'd be getting some MAD uneven reflections and all sorts of coupling

not to be a hater but i didnt think you had a great setup there acoustics wise, id imagine you'd be getting some MAD uneven reflections and all sorts of coupling

agreed, i think you might be hard pressed to really like any monitor there. can you come even 200-300mm off the wall? (disclaimer: i only barely know what i am talking about)

Hater :D

I've done the change now, just got back with them (the Yamaha Hs80s).. When I described the boxyness the guy who served me knew what I was talking about straight away. I think they we're just too bassy for my liking. They were about 300mm away from the wall (I think the pic hides that) ill have to try and have a huge switch around in there, as my tannoys that you can see in the pic sound fine where they are.. So will have to see what the new ones are like

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

The acoustics is something I didn't really look into a lot. Is there any rules I should try and follow?

Last edited:
I think the Yamahas was probably a good decision. As for acoustics its a whole world of pain, have a look on gearslutz and apply what you can to your room. Bass traps / some panels for first reflections and speaker positioning is probably the easiest.

hmmm yeahh i feel you on the rokits..

they were my first set of monitors.

i think they suck in all honesty mate.

may have to upload a pic of my studio...

i may be able to challenge you to a studio chair dual. :0

Hahaha fuck the equipment it's all about the chair at the end of the day :D

I'll go check that gearslutz now, but I'll set the new ones up in the same position and see if there is a difference

Nice set up!
Has anyone heard the equator d5s?
I'm looking at getting a pair of coaxials.

Thanks man.. Nah haven't heard of them?

Well, all installed this morning, and these sound perfect! The Rokits can't of suited my big ears, as these sound so much cleaner and crisper and not boxy at all.. Was getting all geared up to have a big switch around too, but thankfully i don't need to now.. It just goes to show why you need to test speakers yourself, as what sounds perfectly ok to one person, can sound totally different to someone else..
photo6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom