Billain style clean wubs

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
So, I know it's completely impossible to even attempt to make a billain bass. So much complexity that even the man himself couldn't do the same bass twice.

However, is is possible to do just one aspect of it: the wobbling. I love the wobbles in 'Li', Batbots, Manifold and Blockfield: they sound really nice and clean, but yet have so much movement.

I have a few theories about what it is that sounds so good, but I've been experimenting and I can't crack it. I know it won't be perfect because he uses hardware, but I ought to be able to get decently close with software.

One thing I've been doing is using two fairly steep (24db) filters in series, (only what is passed by both filters is heard), no resonance, doing a simple rising pattern with one lowpass and putting the rhythm in with a bandpass, but this tends to remove too much of the sound due to the steepness of the filters, but using more gentle sloping filters ruins the cleanliness of the wubs. That's why I haven't been using analogue filter emulations: they slope too gently and it's messy.

I'm also undecided as to how much processing I do before filtering, and how much after.

Any help at all guys? When I'm a bigshot producer I'll send you some cash/hardware/whores as a thankyou.

Virus TI snow + it's filters + sherman filterbank is the key. To be honest.

edit:

but ive gotten pretty close using massive.
Do you have a virus? When you start playing with the EQ distortion, oh shit, such crunchy sound. I cant imagine what you could make with that combo. Im thinking of selling my C so I can get a snow.

Back
Top Bottom