Bigwog Studio 2 vs ????

xiris

Resident Canadian
VIP Junglist
just made the jump to windows... went from 3.6ghz thru two processors to 15ghz processing and 8x more ram... what a difference.

but now for my next big decision... what daw should i go with? i've been eyeing up bitwig studio 2 and i'm liking what i see. wondering if anyone uses it, and what you think of it.

also (obviously) been thinking about ableton, but i've heard their sound rendering isn't quite as good as some other DAWs... anyone know anything about this? ive seen a lot of people use ableton and their stuff sounds just fine to my ears..

if you dont use bitwig, what do you guys use? i've been a Logic boy since day 1..

thanks in advance

FL Studio all the way. They’re planning on adding time signature changes on the go (in the playlist) and that, to me, is a must. Also very affordable and with a easy learning curve.

Plus, it sounds just like any other DAW, which means: don’t believe when you read it’s inferior. Specially if @Manu Forti says it is.

FL Studio all the way. They’re planning on adding time signature changes on the go (in the playlist) and that, to me, is a must. Also very affordable and with a easy learning curve.

Plus, it sounds just like any other DAW, which means: don’t believe when you read it’s inferior. Specially if @Manu Forti says it is.
my buddy has FL, i've produced on it before... you're right its not bad, definitely will have a bit of a learning curve to it. i just installed the demo of bitwig and whoaaa this is a whole new planet.

^Lizardo plz delete that other account above (assuming that you can see it?). Idk why I even have a 2nd account...

On topic, no clue about Bitwig. I moved from Logic (Mac) to Reaper (PC) earlier this year, since It's free for 2 months and only 60€ after that. Definitely going to pay for it after my free days are used.

Just to clarify, Ableton / FL sound exactly the same if the bounce settings are the same. Id assume that to be true with any other DAW. Numbers don't lie essentially.
The stock plugins of course will sound different some better some worse but that normally depends on personal taste.
The amount of time spent in the program and how easy you find the workflow will determine a lot so try before you buy, most offer trials or light versions take advantage of that.
My workflow is as follows...
I use Renoise as a sampler.
Ableton as my main DAW.
And pro tools for mix/ master.

Last edited:
just made the jump to windows... went from 3.6ghz thru two processors to 15ghz processing and 8x more ram... what a difference.

but now for my next big decision... what daw should i go with? i've been eyeing up bitwig studio 2 and i'm liking what i see. wondering if anyone uses it, and what you think of it.

also (obviously) been thinking about ableton, but i've heard their sound rendering isn't quite as good as some other DAWs... anyone know anything about this? ive seen a lot of people use ableton and their stuff sounds just fine to my ears..

if you dont use bitwig, what do you guys use? i've been a Logic boy since day 1..

thanks in advance

15ghz processor?

Just to clarify, Ableton / FL sound exactly the same if the bounce settings are the same. Id assume that to be true with any other DAW. Numbers don't lie essentially.
The stock plugins of course will sound different some better some worse but that normally depends on personal taste.
The amount of time spent in the program and how easy you find the workflow will determine a lot so try before you buy, most offer trials or light versions take advantage of that.
My workflow is as follows...
I use Renoise as a sampler.
Ableton as my main DAW.
And pro tools for mix/ master.
Ill definitely be demoing everything over the next month or so. I think ill start w fl and live and see where we go from there.

I also have a day of downloading and installing all my plugins to do... horray..

Thank you all for your replies so far

15ghz processing.
2.8x4 w dynamic overclocking to 3.8 each, so 11.2ghz processing during basic use and it ramps itself up as it needs it apparently. We'll see how she goes..

I didn't realise it was possible to use more than one. Its been a long time since I used a PC and even longer since I built one. Have you built it yourself or ordered it in?

I moved from Logic (Mac) to Reaper (PC) earlier this year, since It's free for 2 months and only 60€ after that. Definitely going to pay for it after my free days are used.
for 60 bucks this is an impressive piece of software. i can definitely see myself using this in live-recording settings, there's a band i work with that has been wanting a live recording, and now that i have a computer capable of handling recording more than 3 tracks at once [lol ... i know..] i can see this being very useful very quickly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I think this will be a piece of software I keep and eventually purchase.

@-agu- [and everyone else, for that matter], if you don't mind me asking, what to do you use as your main sampler? I relied on logic's UltraBeat for drums and EXS24 for everything else... . Reaper [unsurprisingly for $60] doesn't come with any synthesis plugins, and FL has Drumaxx which is only included in its $900 edition [hahahahaha.. no] and FPC, which is FL's clone of an MPC and seems half decent.

I didn't realise it was possible to use more than one. Its been a long time since I used a PC and even longer since I built one. Have you built it yourself or ordered it in?
also a quick google search as shown me that there are indeed multiple-processor motherboards available, though they seem to be primarily for use on servers.

@-agu- [and everyone else, for that matter], if you don't mind me asking, what to do you use as your main sampler? I relied on logic's UltraBeat for drums and EXS24 for everything else... . Reaper [unsurprisingly for $60] doesn't come with any synthesis plugins, and FL has Drumaxx which is only included in its $900 edition [hahahahaha.. no] and FPC, which is FL's clone of an MPC and seems half decent.

There is a sampler in Reaper: http://reaperblog.net/2016/03/reasamplomatic-5000-basic-tutorial/ I bought NI Komplete 11 when it was on sale (with the money I saved by not paying 350€+ for a DAW), but haven't messed around with Kontakt as a sampler yet. Usually I'm using raw audio when working with drums since Reaper lets you add pitch bends to audio files and the volume envelope (for the actual sample, not the mixer channel) shapes the waveform in real time.

Btw, going beyond sampling, Izotope Iris (<- isn't that funny) 2 is on sale for 50 bucks (at least in Europe) right now.

http://www.izotope.com/en/products/create-and-design/iris.html

Keep in mind that just because you have multiple processors/cores doesn't mean you'll get a linear benefit in your DAW. It depends on how that DAW utilizes multiprocessing. They do tend to do it better than games, though, which is why I have a 10 core cpu :)

Back
Top Bottom