biggg heelllpppp needed lol!!!!

woodzy dj

hi all, i am very new to using this forum but was looking or a big help off 1 of you good people:).

right i want to learn to produce dnb,i have a copy of reason 4 and fruityloops but was looking for a complete sort of guide on how to start like really,really basic to start with even down to beat structure drop points extt........

is there sny guides for idiots like me lol!

thanks for your time

any help would be much apreciated!!

woodzy dj

i was same as u mate, only started a couple of months ago, but if u spend a good few hours reading thru the production thread, u will get an idea of what u wana know

but the key thing is practise, and loads of it, i use logic so i couldnt really help u out wiv reason as ive never used it

but if u look thru, im sure you will see posts that can help u

it did for me :D

it would be almost impossible just to tell you now how to start making some a tune if you have no knowledge of specific production packages, but if you have fruity, start with that, very user friendly compared to reason. there are hundreds of good tutorials on youtube to get you started and like the man above me said, go thru the prodution section on here. there is a good fruity loops thread and a whole world advice available to you. you can also come in this section and ask as many questions as you like, we've all done it and the folk that post in here are very accomodating, very knowledgable and never make you feel stupid for asking obvious questions

I had the same problem when using Reason4
I even went to the library in search of How to books lol
But when it came to reason tutorials...
Youtube was the saviour =]
Especially a guy name Hydlide24
Click this link and have a scroll through his tutorials
He explains each device very simply,
And with video tuition too =]
There are threads full of tutorials in the Production Forum anyways lol

With whatever software you have, put a bass kick on the first beat, and then a kick halfway through the third bar... Then a snare every two bars. Thats the basis of really generic drum and bass...

With whatever software you have, put a bass kick on the first beat, and then a kick halfway through the third bar... Then a snare every two bars. Thats the basis of really generic drum and bass...

In a basic 4/4 drum and bass beat, its not a snare every two bars, its 2 kick and 2 snare beats to a bar. Think your getting bars and beats mixed up mate?

You have 4 beats to each bar, hence the name 4/4 (the second 4 means after that many bars the cycle repeats)

Kick on the first beat, and halfway between beat 3 and 4, and snares on beats 2 and 4. Then thats filled a bar. (y)

Obviously that doesnt apply to every beat, its just an example of a straightforward beat in 4/4

Last edited:
In a basic 4/4 drum and bass beat, its not a snare every two bars, its 2 kick and 2 snare beats to a bar. Think your getting bars and beats mixed up mate?

You have 4 beats to each bar, hence the name 4/4 (the second 4 means after that many bars the cycle repeats)

Kick on the first beat, and halfway between beat 3 and 4, and snares on beats 2 and 4. Then thats filled a bar. (y)

Obviously that doesnt apply to every beat, its just an example of a straightforward beat in 4/4

this is what happens when you start using renoise... there are no concepts of beats/bars.... just 64 lines.....

Kick on 1 and 11, snare on 5 and 13.

If I read what was being said above about bars I'd be seriously confused, just use that.

It depends whats marked as those numbers though.

If one programs got bars marked and anothers got beats marked, just knowing numbers wont be that helpful.

It helps to know even a little bit about beats and time signatures, its half the reason why some people struggle with making beats that are in time.

Most programs will, although some change it to bars if your looking at a larger section.

As for the whole time signature thing, unless you go mad on it and start looking at really odd ones its not all that complicated, knowing a few bits is really useful for song structure and timing etc.

type 'fl studio tutorial' in youtube.com ..

watch warbeats' videos .. he starts from scratch blaps

Most programs will, although some change it to bars if your looking at a larger section.

As for the whole time signature thing, unless you go mad on it and start looking at really odd ones its not all that complicated, knowing a few bits is really useful for song structure and timing etc.

Could you tell me what these few bits are? I want to know what I'll need to know to make a serious sounding tune.

Could you tell me what these few bits are? I want to know what I'll need to know to make a serious sounding tune.

In general, tunes built around 4 bar loops (or multiples of, so 8, 16, 32 etc), when the loop ends, it either repeats from the start, or moves to another.

For an example, think of Swamp Thing by Sub Focus.

The intro is 32 bars long.

The basic pattern is 4 bars, and it repeats 8 times in the intro before the drop.

Then obviously when the tunes drops, its onto a different pattern, which repeats 8 times, (so another 32 bars) and then a different pattern/section etc etc.

So most tunes in the time signature of 4/4, are built around multiples of 4, and a basic song structure usualy reflects this.

Obviously it varies with different tunes, but the basics are always there.

Back
Top Bottom