Biggest musical inspiration...

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
Just thought it'd be cool to hear what you guys are all inspired by.

My inspirations change from time to time. At the moment I'm really, really into The Smashing Pumpkins.

All sorts really.

Mainly Tool but I find that random sounds of nature inspire me a lot.
Movie soundtracks do a lot for me at the mo aswell!

- everything mutt, break, spectrasoul, rockwell, alix perez etc etc make
- some of the elements used in hip hop productions
- reggae/dub
- any meaningful soulful stuff really
since discovering the beauty of DnB 12 months ago I've started slacking when it comes to listening to other genres. I pretty much go about everything with 170bpm music as the soundtrack

Mine too changes a lot.

Currently, I'm really really into the whole "Found Sound" thing. I've been making stuff using all sorts of random shit I've found sampled on freesound.org! Very cool

Break, Calibre for DNB and Atmosphere for hip hop. But as said above. No matter what I'm inspired to make, I always end up setting it to 170

Alot of things really but at the moment it has to be Alix perez , spectrasoul , sabre , technicolour , komatic and calibre

not in the dnb scene it has to be j dilla, black milk, flying lotus etc. also i've been loving heaps of music from the 50's to 70's and have become fascinated with soulful music

My favourite acts are always changing but System of a Down will always be an inspiration to me. Whilst not everyones cup of tea I think Daron and Serj is one of the best songwriter combos we have seen for a while!

In the production world Skream and Burial do a lot of things for me :)

Punk rock music too. Proper punk! UK subs, the members, the rezillos, the sex pistols, etc. I just find the whole genre interesting. That was truly about the music, not the talent of the musicians just the music was there to make a point!

Another influence for me, not musical, is the night. Travelling at night in particular. The lights and mystery of it all. Just think the people all around you sat behind the wheel, whilst you may only catch a glimpse of them for a split second, are all off in their own direction. They are all leading their own lives.

I will stop there before I get to into it :lol:

Another influence for me, not musical, is the night. Travelling at night in particular. The lights and mystery of it all. Just think the people all around you sat behind the wheel, whilst you may only catch a glimpse of them for a split second, are all off in their own direction. They are all leading their own lives.

Haha, this is exactly the same as me. Identical.
So many people, so many stories.

I actually love travelling at night. Always in the mood to right a tune after.

Last edited:
I made (or started) one of my EP tunes on my laptop sat in the van on the way back from when me and my dad helped a family member move. It was an awesome environment to make tunes in!

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks about this stuff :)

Couldnt keep a list the same for more than 2 days, but I guess the common denominator would be Amon Tobin, I just respect him too much as a producer

Now I'm getting nice inspiration from Para. If you like dark minimalistic neurofunk I reckon to check him out.

All sorts really.

Mainly Tool... but I find that random sounds of nature inspire me a lot.
Movie soundtracks do a lot for me at the mo aswell!

/\ A million times this. Any tool album is quick to generate some inspiration, whether it's for their music, their production quality or both. Not too mention Danny Carey is probably one of (if not the) most talented drummer on the planet.

/\ A million times this. Any tool album is quick to generate some inspiration, whether it's for their music, their production quality or both. Not too mention Danny Carey is probably one of (if not the) most talented drummer on the planet.

Yeah, he is one of the greatest.
His style is so unique

Back
Top Bottom